Home » Audio » General » Paper-based transistor
Paper-based transistor [message #4951] Wed, 23 July 2008 11:41 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So, who's gonna make the first paper amp....C

Re: Paper-based transistor [message #4952 is a reply to message #4951] Wed, 23 July 2008 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Makes sense - kind of like a paper-in-oil capacitor.

Thanks for the link!

icon14.gif  Re: Paper-based transistor [message #59425 is a reply to message #4951] Sat, 20 June 2009 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perry is currently offline  perry
Chancellor
great news!! i just cant believe that paper can act as a good insulator..but its true!! people of today are getting smarter..
Re: Paper-based transistor [message #59474 is a reply to message #4951] Mon, 22 June 2009 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
It would be even more cool if it looked like the schematic diagram for a FET... Wouldn't that be fun if you could draw a schematic that actually was also the functional circuit?

On another note, I see Kokia has a very small application of some of Tesla's work in a cell phone that recharges it's own battery based on "harvesting" random radio energy in the atmosphere.
Re: Paper-based transistor [message #59475 is a reply to message #59474] Mon, 22 June 2009 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Oops, I meant Nokia.
Re: Paper-based transistor [message #59476 is a reply to message #59474] Mon, 22 June 2009 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
SteveBrown wrote on Mon, 22 June 2009 15:41
On another note, I see Kokia has a very small application of some of Tesla's work in a cell phone that recharges it's own battery based on "harvesting" random radio energy in the atmosphere.

Oh, now that's cool! Like solar but at a lower frequency. That way you can charge at night as well as day. Cool!
Re: Paper-based transistor [message #59489 is a reply to message #59476] Mon, 22 June 2009 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Cool, yes, but apparently Tesla was successful using the earth's magnetic field to do it in powering even a car. Now that's cool. By the way, if anyone is interested an outstanding book on Tesla is (what else?) Tesla, Man out of Time by Margaret Cheney. Without question the greatest inventor the world has ever known.
Re: Paper-based transistor [message #59494 is a reply to message #59489] Tue, 23 June 2009 10:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've been impressed with Tesla for a long time. He's one of my personal favorite scientists and inventors, top of the list for me, with others being the Wright Brothers, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin and Isaac Newton and Nicolaus Copernicus.

Thomas Edison doesn't even make the list for me, in my opinion he was just a showman hacker and I'm not impressed with anything he did. For him to have competed with Tesla and used the snake oil marketing tricks he used puts him below the ranks of dirty used cart salesmen and politicians.

Tesla was a true genius, responsible for invention of AC, radio and a lot of other things. He is truly responsible for the modern world, because without AC power systems, the world would look much different.

One thing though, I think the idea that Tesla was trying to find "free energy" in the Colorado Springs experiments is a modern day "New Age" myth. One thing I know for sure is he was trying to resonate the earth, hoping to provide wireless power transmission. I think he hoped to find a way to efficiently transmit power without wires, but I'm not sure he would have expected free energy from it, or even energy from an outside source like solar, sort of "free to us" from a terrestrial perspective. In a way, it was to make the Earth act like the core of a huge and efficienct transformer. I suppose he may have hoped for more than that, but I think probably Tesla was looking for an efficient method of wireless transmission of power.
Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - Saturday Feb 5th
Next Topic: Paper-in-oil capacitors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:47:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout