Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » piezos (to DB)
piezos (to DB) [message #49411] Sun, 30 April 2006 19:48 Go to next message
Bill Thornton is currently offline  Bill Thornton
Chancellor
Hi DB,
I just thought I,d let you know I GOT MY MONEY BACK and the monacor 1165's only cost £2.50 ea. in the local guitar/pa shop, a net saving of
£19.00. But it was more to do with not being ripped off!

thanks again for your advice.

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49437 is a reply to message #49411] Fri, 05 May 2006 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Good. It must be this one. MPT-165 Monacor similar on the outside to the Motorola 1165. (but)They don't come even close.
(http://www.monacor.com/en/produktseite_stageline.php?artid=5353&spr=EN&typ=u).
Are you using it with or without a piezo filter? Do you have the same SPL on the speakers? I just made one with a 5db attenuation@20KHz following Wayne's rule of thumb "Pi implementations of quartz piezoelectric tweeters".
Regards

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49438 is a reply to message #49437] Fri, 05 May 2006 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi dB,

to be honest the "x-over" ended up quite complicated .I have no real measuring equipment except a free software frequency generator and my ear "lugs" There are 5 uf electrolytics (ugh) by-passed by sufflex small value c's, some resistors, some inductors in line with the 5" mid bass
I messed around with the values until i got what I thought was a smooth
sound. My wife says there too bright but since I,m 58 and my hearings
on the slippery slope thats to be expected.One of the benefits of audio
equipment ,as opposed to hifi is the addition of tone controls in my LEAK 2000 stereo receiver.So I cut the Hi-Frequency when she's
listening!! I think the problem I have left with the combination of these drivers is more to do with a hi-mid peak on the mid bass unit &
I should design a soft notch filter when I get around to it.In general
though ,the information retrieval capabilities and the bass extension for there size, for the paltry £20 per unit they cost me I,m well pleased.
I'd like to Know the details of your set-up using these monacor units.

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49441 is a reply to message #49438] Sun, 07 May 2006 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Bill,
I am not using this piezo. I'm using a double horn piezo on top of a 98dB 2 way monitor (reinforcement) that is short on highs. (I found two nice and blue, equal Philips MKP caps -- of the 5dB attenuator -- on a small TV set from garbage.)
I will be pleased to help you (is anything you want to ask?) if I can. What are your 5" speaker parameters (brand & model)?, you don't have a tweeter besides the piezo I guess.

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49444 is a reply to message #49441] Sun, 07 May 2006 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi dB,
i feel a bit of a fraud continuing to use Waynes site to discuss NON PI speakers & since your interested in the 5" bass-mids
I am using would you please consider going to the DIY AUDIO site and
search the loudspeaker forum for the "my little speakers" thread and all the details ,including the specs. (provided by another user) will be revealed. If you care to register there we can carry on this discussion
" legally " so to speak. Thanks for your interest.

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49448 is a reply to message #49444] Mon, 08 May 2006 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Bill,
You are welcome. There are tigers out there... I see you have a 5" Wharfedale Diamond 6 midbass (they used to be the best studio monitors bang-for-the-buck. Good choice. From what I remember (10/20) years ago they were about 88dB SPL (are they made of paper, the cones?). You need a (about) 5dB att to go with a 93dB piezo, if you prefer it (for the frequency response) to be flat. Wayne use's a 0.22uF for a 4dB attenuation on the (his 1038) Motorola. Place the capacitor in series. If you use a resistor in parallel use a "only non inductive parts", for caps polypropylene only and never electrolytics because of sound quality. You can always read Wayne's Pi implementations of quartz piezoelectric tweeters on this forum.
Best Regards

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49449 is a reply to message #49448] Tue, 09 May 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The vendor said the cones were polypropylene ,they look shiny and grainy in appearance a bit like sintered filter material if that makes any sense.

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49451 is a reply to message #49449] Tue, 09 May 2006 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I see. I'm using a paper cone for mids (1K-4K), in a new 3 way design. 10" Polypropylene with rubber edge surround for bass and a compression driver with a radial horn for the high's. The crossover point and the crossover filters is were (I) you put your (my) attention (passive filters this is). I know you want to add a sub in a later date.

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49454 is a reply to message #49451] Wed, 10 May 2006 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi dB,

The subs are already in use as it happens ,most people on the D.I.Y
audio forum warned me against trying this but I had some reasonably large inductors to limit the upper frequencies and the 12" speakers were already mounted under the stairs so they are not in any sort of near field as regards the stereo image. So there you have it a pseudo bass bin made out of part of the cottage , and 2 ,little speakers hanging in the corner of the living room. NOT hifi by any stretch of the imagination but all the frequencies seem to be present, upper-mids maybe too present!! but its still retrieving more info from sources than anything Ive had before.If i ever get divorced I may even find out what Hi-Fi sounds like! HA HA

Re: piezos (to DB) [message #49500 is a reply to message #49444] Sun, 21 May 2006 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor

Ive finally found out how to upload images so heres what all the
fuss is about.As you can see ive doctored the piezos inside and out and they sound O.K. to me but then I,m no golden eared hi-fi expert.

Previous Topic: push-pull - isobarik bass
Next Topic: My new two Pi Studios
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 30 13:46:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout