Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Need some speaker advice Wayne (and others)
Need some speaker advice Wayne (and others) [message #49334] Mon, 17 April 2006 13:37 Go to next message
Old Brown Eyes is currently offline  Old Brown Eyes
Chancellor
I am interested in your speakers and have a few (more like a bunch) of questions. I don't have corners so I guess that means bass reflex. The amp(s) in question will tend towards low wattage tube amps with rather low damping factors...non-feedback push pull as well as SET types. So a benign (constant?) impedance is best. From there I guess the next question is 2-way or 3-way. The 3-way adds another crossover which isn't ideal of course but perhaps it is better than asking two drivers to cover such a wide range? And last but not least we get into driver selection. I can't envision in my wildest dream throwing more than a 100 watts at these speakers and with that in mind is moving up to the JBL line worth the extra money? Prior to my friend Steve talking to you this weekend I was personally leaning towards the B&C line as I have heard many good things about them....but then it is rather hard to say anything bad about JBL isn't it:) Cost is always an issuse but I'd say the insurance that repair parts will be easy to purchase 10 years down the road would be more important than first cost.

In any event one thing that would be especially important to us would be having a dynamic sounding speaker, one capable of generating bass that you feel as well as hear (unlike some of the full range speakers with very small Xmax).

If you would rather email me my address is:
Rbrunt(at)mercymiami(dot)org

Thanks in advance,
Russ

Re: Need some speaker advice Wayne (and others) [message #49337 is a reply to message #49334] Mon, 17 April 2006 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The three-way crossover is actually a pretty easy load. The first crossover point is first-order and the bass and midhorn impedances tend to damp one another and smooth the impedance. So that works out pretty well. As for the comparison between B&C and JBL, I still tend to prefer JBL but the B&C drivers are very good. Some might prefer them, as may you. But I'm still partial to the JBLs.

Re: Need some speaker advice Wayne (and others) [message #49344 is a reply to message #49334] Tue, 18 April 2006 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfenning is currently offline  Pfenning
Chancellor
Hi Russ, I have the Stage 4 Pi's with Bottlehead paramours. This is a fantastic combo in my opinion. It does alot of different types of music well. I mainly listen to rock, but have some jazz and blues I listen to once in a while. I have added subs, and they just fill in the very bottom end, I have them set at about 55 hz. If you want dymanics, look no further, and they are smooth as silk to listen to (no listening fatigue). I really can't say enough good about the Stage 4's, and Wayne has been a great guy to deal with. Hope this helps.

Pfenning

Re: Second this... [message #49345 is a reply to message #49344] Tue, 18 April 2006 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I use the Stage 4's with Paramours and have no need for sub. Have the upgrade kit on Paramour, which gives more bass than the stock opt's. I get plenty of bass, even my 21yr old son and his friends are amazed with them.

Re: Second this... [message #49346 is a reply to message #49345] Tue, 18 April 2006 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfenning is currently offline  Pfenning
Chancellor
Matt, I've heard that from several people including Doc. I just got the upgrade opt's yesterday, but haven't got them installed yet. I can't wait to here the difference iron can make.

Pfenning

Re: Second this... [message #49347 is a reply to message #49346] Tue, 18 April 2006 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I'll think you'll enjoy the difference. I was wondering if you had them. After you get them in and broken in, you might try the speaks w/out the sub and see what you think... Not just lower bass, but much better defined. The 55hz is probably close to where the original iron goes comfortably.

Thanks gents, how hard are the cabinets to make? [message #49349 is a reply to message #49334] Thu, 20 April 2006 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I can do the basics and can find a table saw to use. But I don't think I am up to doing a fancy curved horn. So how easy are the cabinets to make and is there a drawing I can see anywhere?

Russ

Re: Thanks gents, how hard are the cabinets to make? [message #49350 is a reply to message #49349] Thu, 20 April 2006 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
these are mostly simple boxes- if you can cut a straight line and screw & glue you'll get something functional. Horns in Pi 4's are ready-made, bolt-on. As long as they are air-tight you'll be ok. Of course, you can make them as fancy as you want- with mitred joints, fancy veneers, added designs, etc.

Re: Thanks gents, how hard are the cabinets to make? [message #49351 is a reply to message #49349] Thu, 20 April 2006 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Tell me what model you're interested in and I'll send the plans. But I'll be gone this weekend, and I won't be checking the forum while I'm gone.

Re: Thanks gents, how hard are the cabinets to make? [message #49353 is a reply to message #49351] Thu, 20 April 2006 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Wayne, my friend Steve had talked with you last weekend and from what I understand he/we are planning a 4Pi cabinet with the 10" mid added to the equation since we don't have corners to put the speakers in. I wasn't sure just how the mid range was to be added....I think Steve mentioned a flatpack?? So basically a 7Pi but using the 4Pi bass reflex cabinet if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Russ

Previous Topic: Compensation circuit for 16-Ohm JBL 2426/2370
Next Topic: Attenuation for Theatre-3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:56:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers