Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last
Re: North Creek [message #49229 is a reply to message #49226] Sat, 01 April 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Thanks a lot Thomas. Nothing like the voice of experience. I did roll my eyes at the claims on the wwwsite about the Crescendos, but I'll go ahead and give them a try. I also wouldn't have tried these stacks, but I'll get a bunch and start experimenting!

Re: North Creek [message #49233 is a reply to message #49229] Sat, 01 April 2006 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
While I find them lovely, this is subjective turf. I can say for sure you will get a true measure of the "North Creek sound" if you just order enough Crescendos to bypass all of your caps and use the 1uF where you can. I feel comfortable with anyone doing that on my recommendation. If you want the whole enchilada thats great, but you will know if you like them with just a bypass. It is true that whatever they are paired with can alter the sound, but you will hear the North Creekness either way. Even if you like something else better, the quality and experience would be worth it. You can also use them like seasonings if, say for instance you were more of a paper oil, or motor run kind of guy. One thing that is loads of fun is to run one of more of the Crescendos backwards. They used to suggest this practice to puff up the mids and smooth out the highs with certain tweeters. It softens the image, but it takes away metal dome sound like crazy to my ears.

The point (if there really is one) for using the spread of values is suposedly to avoid the stacking of sonic signature that might occur if one combined a group of the same value and brand of cap. Say a cap had a little sheen in the top octave, another was dark and rolled off sounding. groups or singles of either might sound either in your face or far away. Stacked they might be neutral sounding. While I hear, or believe that I hear this occuring, I wrote it hypothetical for objectivities sake.

Enjoy, Thomas

Re: North Creek [message #49237 is a reply to message #49233] Sat, 01 April 2006 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Don't worry about me being disappointed if they're not to my taste. I just appreciate your sharing your experiences- that's what's good about a board like this. I'm going to try some out in the 10 and 20 spots, bypassed- we'll see what happens. I have Auricap in the attenuator already and that helped. Trying to get these tuned out & I expect it to be a process. With the price of these sizes though, anything that can narrow down the selection process is a big help!

Re: North Creek [message #49238 is a reply to message #49237] Sat, 01 April 2006 22:51 Go to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Be sure to keep us posted, It will be great to see what you come up with and what you like about it.

This really is a great forum.

Previous Topic: Mica foil capacitor
Next Topic: ManualBlock; my back is killing me!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:42:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio