Home » Audio » LSAF » Music at LSAF 2008
Music at LSAF 2008 [message #4823] Mon, 05 May 2008 03:14 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So, what new music did you hear that you are just gonna have to go buy?

I'll start:

Mike Oldfield --- Music of the Spheres (nothing new but nice to listen to)
Grayson Capps --- Songbones
Lizz Wright --- The Orchard
Jazz Vocalists:Here and Now --- compilation

Re: Music at LSAF 2008 [message #4825 is a reply to message #4823] Mon, 05 May 2008 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Just picked up some new CD's on Amazon from Sarah Brightman and Amy Winehouse. I also wanted to find out what Duke was playing with the drums, sounded kinda tribal. Forgot to ask before I left, so Duke, what was that?

Re: Music at LSAF 2008 [message #4826 is a reply to message #4823] Mon, 05 May 2008 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BarryS is currently offline  BarryS
Esquire
I'll be digging into classical music again. Its Bob Brines fault!

Re: Music at LSAF 2008 [message #4838 is a reply to message #4823] Thu, 08 May 2008 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keith Larson is currently offline  Keith Larson
Baron
There was definitely a lot of good music to listen. My biggest surprise was when John Busch played Cyndi Lauper's album 'At Last'. She was not singing the usual 'girls just wanna have fun' but JAZZ, and quite convincingly too!

My biggest surprise [message #4913 is a reply to message #4838] Fri, 06 June 2008 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My biggest surprise was when Johan Van Zyl showed us the CDs he had written on with that pen to make sound better.

I'm still trying to figure out how he kept a straight face while telling us about it.

Re: My biggest surprise [message #4916 is a reply to message #4913] Sat, 07 June 2008 13:39 Go to previous message
Keith Larson is currently offline  Keith Larson
Baron
I know the light path can get messed up (just dirty up a disc), so I guess it is possible for discs, cd players and audiophiles to interact. However knowing that the edge of the disc is a long ways from the data, if my CD player was garbling disks, I would be more inclined to

a) Clean the disk
b) Wonder what was wrong with my CD player

Not all players are made the same, and it is possible to test them. The idea is that by controlling the media, errors can be introduced until at some point they are a) noticeable and b) cause the player to loose sync. Here is a commercial version I did find.

http://www.digital-recordings.com/cdcheck/cdcheck.html

Something that should concern everyone is that apparently a fair number of CD-R's are degrading with time. This is usually not noticed when 'data' is saved because of a much deeper level of error correction. On the other hand, audio tracks have far less error correction.

Original CD's will also age. Look carefully at a favorite CD that has been baked in the car for a few summers. It probably has a lot of extra and sometimes quite big holes in the metal. Hold it up to the light...

Keith Larson

Previous Topic: LSAF Report in Positive Feedback
Next Topic: Question about LSAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:37:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers