Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Which speaker offers horn bass that doesn't require corners?
Which speaker offers horn bass that doesn't require corners? [message #49103] Tue, 14 March 2006 11:22 Go to next message
Pfenning is currently offline  Pfenning
Chancellor
Hello, I currently have Stage 4's and love them. I am thinking of adding another set of Pi speakers, and would like horn bass. Unfortunatly, I don't have corners to put these in, so they would have to be able to set out in the open. I would drive them with Bottlehead Paramours, and listen to mainly rock and blues, with some electronic and country mixed in. I heard some altec drivers in horn loaded cabinets, and was blown away. The bass was very acurate and tuneful, but didn't overtake the music. What do you think?

Thanks,
Pfenning

Re: Which speaker offers horn bass that doesn't require corners? [message #49104 is a reply to message #49103] Tue, 14 March 2006 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Freestanding basshorns are huge. To have a real basshorn requires a cabinet the size of a refrigerator. Anything smaller is very peaky - I've seen some popular designs with as much as 15dB peaks within a single octave. I personally would do without. Go large or don't go at all where basshorns are concerned. An example is the 12π basshorn.

12π basshorn

On the other hand, a good compromise is a midbass or even low midrange horn. You can horn load down to say 100Hz in a reasonably sized cabinet. You might like something like the eight π loudspeaker, which is a two-way design with both drivers horn-loaded.

eight π loudspeaker

Re: Which speaker offers horn bass that doesn't require corners? [message #49106 is a reply to message #49104] Tue, 14 March 2006 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfenning is currently offline  Pfenning
Chancellor
How will this speaker compare to the Stage 4's? I'm not sure I understand how the 8 works. Does the woofer fire up in the bottom cabinet? Is this speaker more efficent than my Stage 4? Does it give that all around the room type responce that the Stage 4 does? How's the bass, punchier ( is that a word? ) than the 4? How's the midrange and treble, as good as the Stage 4's? Would I buy the kit and then purchase the midrange horns from you for $100 each? How will it integrate with my Paramours, as well or better than the Stages? Does it do rock music good?

Thanks,
Pfenning

8 Pis [message #49109 is a reply to message #49104] Tue, 14 March 2006 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment, but dangit Wayne. What did I tell you about putting that 8 Pi pic up!

Re: 8 Pis [message #49111 is a reply to message #49109] Tue, 14 March 2006 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love 'em too.

Re: Which speaker offers horn bass that doesn't require corners? [message #49112 is a reply to message #49106] Tue, 14 March 2006 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The eight π is a bit different animal than the four π. One is a fully horn loaded system and the other is a DI-matched two-way. The Alpha 10 in the eight π is a less expensive midwoofer, but it's horn loaded which helps. The Stage four π has a much more expensive midwoofer, but it requires more from it since it's a direct radiator.

Re: Which speaker offers horn bass that doesn't require corners? [message #49113 is a reply to message #49112] Tue, 14 March 2006 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne, Maybe what we need is a good quality 15" driver version of the eight Pi...bass reflex in lowest freqencies, horn loaded above that w/ higher freq horn on top....enough efficiency for 45 amps? As if you need another project, huh?

Re: Which speaker offers horn bass that doesn't require corners? [message #49117 is a reply to message #49113] Wed, 15 March 2006 08:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Might be cool, but my hands are kinda full at the moment.

The eight π was an application of the midhorn, using a driver with electro-mechanical specs that make it suitable for bass duty as well as mids.

I'm planning on doing a top box for the 12π basshorn and it will be fully horn loaded. This new 9π will have a horn-loaded midbass section that might be suitable for home use in the form of a larger version of the eight π. We'll see.

Previous Topic: Crossover Electronics 101 Seminar at GPAF
Next Topic: Pi Speakers Website
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:11:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout