Home » Audio » General » Got my Summer amp today
Got my Summer amp today [message #4909] Thu, 05 June 2008 21:03 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's 8PM and 84 degrees in my non-air-conditioned cottage. They told me there'd be a few weeks like this in August in these mountains, otherwise, seldom above 85 and cooling way down in the evening.

They lied.

With amazing prescience, I bought a Classe Model 70 2 weeks ago and it arrived today. Someone, I won't say who, but his initials are Spkrmn, insinuated that I paid too much but $500 for a 10 year old amp that sold for $1200 in 10 year old dollars isn't too bad, I thought. When I opened the box I could beleive it was really brand new. Not a mark on it. Do some music lovers really place a component on a shelf and never haul it back and forth 'tween shelf and bench?

You should hear the bass from this beauty on both the 2226s and the Altec-Universitys. Cool-running class AB. Cymbals and kick drum that tubes will never do. Vocals not SET but lovely still.

I really wanted to find a Bedini 25/25 but this is awfully close and half the price.

Cool!

Re: Got my Summer amp today [message #4910 is a reply to message #4909] Fri, 06 June 2008 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool!!!

I listened to a Classe Cap-151 amp into a set of the top of the line B&W speakers right after I moved to Amarillo. Incredible sounding. They had the amp and a matching CDP (CDP-10) left over from the year before as demo models in the neighborhood of $2500 for the pair. Those are the only Classe products I've ever seen, but they sure were nice.

If I ever get this dang Darling project finished I'll have a summer amp. Just need to pick some OPT's and I'm almost home.

Re: Got my Summer amp today [message #4911 is a reply to message #4909] Fri, 06 June 2008 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cool deal, Bill. I don't think I've ever seen a Classe Model 70. Could you post pictures of your new amp?

Re: Pix [message #4912 is a reply to message #4911] Fri, 06 June 2008 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Basic Black, full 17" wide and fairly hefty. I haven't been inside but theres a big bolt head on the bottom which says toroid power trans to me.

Classe doesn't have any info on their site and no one at that other site can agree whether it's a true balanced circuit but at least the XLRs are there.

Class-A is the pronunciation, I guess, but class AB is the circuit. I let it cook all night and it didn't even get warm. Just what's needed.

Re: Pix [message #4914 is a reply to message #4912] Fri, 06 June 2008 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for posting the pics. It's a good lookin' amp! Cool Class AB, just what you need in the summer. Swap back to Class A for the winter.

How much power? What are the outputs, discrete, chip, FET?

It kind of reminds me of the ProFet amp, which I really like. The ProFet gets hot enough to cook on, probably generates more heat than my Audio Note Kit 2. But that plain look is kind of cool. It doesn't wow the people at shows like a tube amp does, but I like the looks and love the sound.

Re: Pix [message #4915 is a reply to message #4914] Fri, 06 June 2008 19:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Classe has no archives and there's very little info out there. I know its 75 watts with an input impedance of 75k. Also, discrete transistors (either Toshiba or Motorola, they used both at diferent times) tied to the voltage rail in back with the heatsinks.

I'm going to post for a copy of the manual elsewhere. No way I'll open it up; you'd never believe it's not new and I'll keep it that way to trade up down the road.

Previous Topic: FredT - please contact me
Next Topic: Off topic, but good news!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 06:21:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout