Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » On the fence - Klipsch or Pi?
On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? [message #49043] Tue, 07 March 2006 14:08 Go to next message
Patrick W is currently offline  Patrick W
Esquire
Howdy Folks - I live in Nashville Tennesse and have settled on some horn speakers to upgrade my Hi-Fi experience. I have several questions that I wonder if y'all can answer.

1) Is there any who lives in Nashville who has a set of PI's that I could check out live in person for an hour or so? I've previewed the Klipsch models at our local Hi-Fi Store and they are very impressive. I would happily compensate you for your time with a septet of ale or groovy wine from California. The 2003 zins are awesome. If interested please respond to my e-mail.

2) When comparing the Klipsch RF-5's to the Pi 4 models I was surprised that the Klipsch claim a lower bottom end frequecy (32 Hz) with smaller woofer's. Granted the Klipsch have 2 - 8" woofers to the Pi's 1 - 15" woofer (40 Hz), but generally shouldn't a larger diameter woofer give a lower frequency? Can my ears even tell the differnce between 32 and 40 Hz?

3) Does anyone own/owned Klipsch and now own Pi's who would care to chime in about differences?

Thanks,

Patrick Watkins

Re: On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? [message #49045 is a reply to message #49043] Tue, 07 March 2006 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
Its been quite a while since I have heard the Klipsch speakers you referenced so I couldn't comment on them. I belive however that the drivers used in Pi speakers are more comparable to ones Klipsh uses in it top of the line speakers such as the Klipshcorn, Belle Klipsch etc. The RF series is a mid line group in the Klipsch lineup/

Re: On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? [message #49046 is a reply to message #49043] Tue, 07 March 2006 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've heard both, and have gone with Pi's. I wouldn't use that low freq no. to determine the bass a speaker will put out- has almost no relevance to the sound. Quality of bass is very important, and there's no statistic for that. Also, how many dB's down the bass is at certain frequencies is measured many different ways, and many companies go for the marketing here....

Re: On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? [message #49047 is a reply to message #49043] Tue, 07 March 2006 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Allow me to chime in. I am not real familiar with the RF 5's but before I built my Theater 4's I owned a pair of Cornwalls. Those are 15" three way mid-tweeter horn/bass reflex woofer. They are very nice musical speakers. I sold them after completeing the Pi T-4's. The 4's are a more involving speaker. Now that might be due to better quality drivers and better boxes since when you build things yourself you can get much better parts into your project.
Wayne sells his kits ridiculously cheap for what you get; just about cost. But the speakers; The 4's are fundamentally more powerfull sounding and pressurise the room better. Everywhere you sit in the room the sound is full/deep and musical. They really push the mids the way you hear it in a live setting. The Klipsch Speakers sound more like loudspeakers and less like live music. Thats what I notice. I have a friend who is having a pair of Stage 4 speakers built for him. The total price on delivery is about half of the price of anything even close to the quality level he is getting.

Re: On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? - Sold! [message #49053 is a reply to message #49047] Wed, 08 March 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Alrighty, I'm sold. Manualblock's observation that the Klipsch sound more like loudspeakers and less like live music pushed me off the fence. Thank you one and all for your comments. Now to decide on the type of wood for the cabinet...

Re: On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? - Sold! [message #49055 is a reply to message #49053] Wed, 08 March 2006 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Walnut veneer looks good with the JBL 2226's!!!

Ron

Re: On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? - Sold! - No comparison [message #49073 is a reply to message #49055] Fri, 10 March 2006 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
You read my mind Ron. Walnut it is. Apropos of nothing, I found my way into the order section of the site which answered all my questions. Having bumbled around the site for a few months I have to say I'm amazed at 1) the tone of all who post here. Y'all are helpful and respectful. 2) Wayne's hands on, direct involvement in all aspects of his business. I never make a technology purchase without reading a lot and checking reviews for the worst I can expect. It seems the worst I can expect from Pi's is that if I drop them on my foot I may wind up in the hospital. All my questions have been answered and any fears I had were allayed. 3) I love that Wayne is able to run a business as a small businesman that factories and chains can't compete with. Wayne you rock!

Re: On the fence - Klipsch or Pi? [message #49094 is a reply to message #49043] Mon, 13 March 2006 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
"2) When comparing the Klipsch RF-5's to the Pi 4 models I was surprised that the Klipsch claim a lower bottom end frequecy (32 Hz) with smaller woofer's. Granted the Klipsch have 2 - 8" woofers to the Pi's 1 - 15" woofer (40 Hz), but generally shouldn't a larger diameter woofer give a lower frequency? Can my ears even tell the differnce between 32 and 40 Hz?"

This is a good question... bass extension is influenced by a LOT of factors... room placement being most important.

If a speaker were to be placed on a post 100' in the air, it would be radiating bass into all space, 360 degrees around, but up and down, too. The higher frequencies are more directional, beamed, so we are just talking low bass here.

If the same speaker were to be placed against a wall, say outside the 10th floor of a high rise, not on the ground, it is radiating into half space. So, the same energy is concentrated into a smaller area.

If that speaker is place on a floor, against a wall, it is radiating into 1/4 space. That same energy is concentrated even more. And compared to the higher frequencies it reproduces, the bass is stronger yet, by 6 db.

If the speaker is placed on the floor, in a corner, it is now radiating into 1/8 space, so the bass will sound even stronger.

The height of the woofer, or port, from the floor, whether the floor is carpeted or not, and other room conditions will greatly influence the amount of bass heard.

So, I take all bass figures as suggestions of what might be, rather than fact.

More important, is the bass "quick"? Does the speaker accurately reproduce the bass, or does it ring? Is the bass boomy and sustained? Does the bass drum go "BOP!!!" or "Wooooooom...". Does string bass sound realistic or is it just low? This is where a good 15" speaker will outshine a small "subwoofer".

Technopop and other synthesized music is not a good choice for auditioning speakers. You don't know what the original synthesized sounds were supposed to sound like. I like to use something with live orchestra, see how that sounds... Holst's Planets is good, especially Mars. Put on a jazz combo, piano, bass, drums, etc. Listen to those instruments. Is it convincing? Close your eyes. Is the combo right in front of you, sounds live? If a speaker system will do this, its a winner.

Re: - Great description of quarter space and eighth space. What about Lowther drivers? [message #49101 is a reply to message #49094] Mon, 13 March 2006 13:17 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks Paul. That's a great description of 1/4 space and 1/8 space. I hadn't realized it was a measure of volume but now it makes perfect sense. Next to pick up some Holst and annoy the neighbors.

Found my way onto the Lowther site today and looked around. Anybody had any experience with those drivers?

Previous Topic: JBL tent sales
Next Topic: Kit Buying
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:46:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout