Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Stage 4Pi improvement
Re: No offense, Matts, but [message #49022 is a reply to message #49021] Sun, 05 March 2006 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
If it's that well thought out, I am definitely going to get some and try it out!

No worries- I will keep this in mind and check it out sometime, although I don't think I have such a pressing need for it. I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, but just wondered & asked. Hope you post your next discovery, too!

Re: No offense, Matts, but [message #49023 is a reply to message #49020] Sun, 05 March 2006 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I meant towards MY post! Anyway, sounds like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders- hope all is well other than working for the American Corporation in this day and age where senses of humor are so rare. The waistlines reflect all the stress....mine included!!

Re: No offense, Matts, but [message #49024 is a reply to message #49022] Sun, 05 March 2006 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
Well, now that you mention it, I do have a new discovery. Its a low density open cell polyurethane foam plug you put in your ears to eliminate HOM(Higher Order Modes) when listening to compression drivers with horns. Wait until Earl Geddes hears about this invention. I"m going to make a bundle off these.
LAL

Re: Stage 4Pi improvement [message #49025 is a reply to message #49007] Mon, 06 March 2006 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey LAL. Thanks for the report. I noticed that your cabinets were lined live-side/dead-side with fibreglass, but pretty much all around with Sonic Barrier. No doubt, the resulting improvements were probbably a combination of different material and placement. I'd be interested in knowing how much of it was gained with material vs placement (ie. would you get the same results if five sides were lined with fibreglass). Unfortunately, it sounds like it's impossible for you to remove the Sonic Barrier to test.

Also, was there a reason why "Glop" was originally only used on the unlined sides? Fibreglass does a good job of absorbing soundwaves but not much to dampen panels. I've found that putting some type of Glop-like material on all internal walls before lining with absorbant works very well to reduce boom.

Gar.

** TRUE SONICS ** [message #49026 is a reply to message #49024] Mon, 06 March 2006 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
What a debate the true only the true this forum need more debate like this .regarding if the Pi speakers in this case the stage 4 sound better sotck that after modified I dont know because I need to make them but I encourage all the people in this forum to arm with you keyboard and figth to make this great great dedication named audio a lot more and better . BTW in the latest issue of AudioXpress magazine come a very interesanting article by Mr Mark Sanfilipo about lowering a loudspeaker mechanical noise floor .

Earplugs [message #49027 is a reply to message #49024] Mon, 06 March 2006 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Earl's open cell foam in the horn might be good, but I'm thinking a closed cell foam would be better for direct insertion in the ear. (Particularly if the family has a newborn or other sources for a high noise floor)

Re: No offense, Matts, but [message #49028 is a reply to message #49021] Mon, 06 March 2006 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Naah; it's not you; your post would be too obvious and anyway it has the ring of truth. It's something other than a specific charge or post. Its a thing we are beginning to see where there are literally dozens of websites popping up presenting themselves as audio hobby forums then in reality providing an outlet for supposedly citizen posters to flog their wares. Not here becuase the Pi site is older and more established. But you see the same posters leapfrogging sites with all these bits of info geared to direct attention to something inparticular. Then sites that used to present themselves as hobbiest sites offer tons of stuff for sale.

Re: Stage 4Pi improvement [message #49029 is a reply to message #49025] Mon, 06 March 2006 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hey Gar,
I share your interest in the placement part of this. I can't attest to this specific instance, but I went through a round of experiments with my Theater Fours. I tried stock first, then both sides + back & bottom. The best thing I tried was when Wayne was talking about fiberglass working better at the frequencies of interest when spaced away from surfaces. I put a blanket of glass on a shelf brace about 10" from the top, now the midbass is so clear and stiff. The worst thing I tried was too much or too thick a material(clear sound, but spongy on kick drums & toms). I ended up with stock plus the brace blanket and a little piece on the unlined side about 12 x 8 right next to the driver. The Little piece seems to help the mids, but It is not something so blatant that I would swear on it. The bisecting blanket however is serious goodness.

Thomas

Understandable Results [message #49030 is a reply to message #49007] Mon, 06 March 2006 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My 3 Pi's sounded very live to me with 3/4" mdf as the enclosure material and a single window frame brace between the woofer and tweeter. I subsequently lined the interior with 3/8" plywood panels attached with a generous layer of liquid nails, and this tamed quite a bit of the boominess. I suspect the culprit was the vibration in the enclosure walls, which I could easily feel by holding my hand on a panel while playing a recording with strong bass content. Adding the plywood panels did compromise the interior volume a bit, but the overall result was worth it. The 1-1/4" sonic barrier that LAL used is a multi constrained layer damping material which I would expect to make a difference if the speaker's liveliness is caused by the panels ringing.

Re: No offense, Matts, but [message #49036 is a reply to message #49024] Tue, 07 March 2006 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi,
I don't mind reviews, if the material is good.
Only when it's a SCAM (and, nowadays, clones included).
Like this stock of fake SHURE Mic's (no I am not selling them!?). Thousands of SM58, SM57, Beta 58 & Beta 57, on Ebay and from China and Vietnam.
(http://www.laboitenoire.net/sono/index.php) in French
By the way, is anybody using Diaural series x-over's (capacitor less) Pat.#6115475. Do they work (well)?
Regards

Previous Topic: FredT's looked so good and Shane complained, so...
Next Topic: The MOST SUB - Just for fun
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:59:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout