Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne
Wayne [message #48973] Sun, 26 February 2006 14:35 Go to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount
I never asked, how it all started? I mean building speakers.

Regards!
Dragan

A brief history of π Speakers [message #48974 is a reply to message #48973] Sun, 26 February 2006 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

π Speakers started off in the late 1970's by my wanting really great speakers, but not finding what I wanted off-the-shelf, at least not at a price I was comfortable with. My first speakers were little two-way speakers with an 8" woofer and a small horn tweeter. Soon after, I designed the π cornerhorn, using all JBL Professional Series components in a three-way design.

Each of the first models were sort of case studies. I used what I knew about reactive circuits and mechanical resonance and studied the things I didn't know, things like what happens in 3D space that affects summing. I was more than pleased with the first models, downright proud, really, and others were somewhat impressed as well. Several people in Tulsa asked me to build speakers for their homes, so I purchased business liability insurance and started working with a cabinet shop to build these things. So what started off as a personal exercise to get the best speaker I could for my own use became a small business.

I chose the name "π" because it is used so much in the formulas that describe properties about the loudspeaker. That and the fact that "π" is the Greek (and Russian) letter for "P", the first letter of my last name, makes the name "π Speakers" sort of resonate for me.

Re: A brief history of π Speakers [message #48975 is a reply to message #48974] Mon, 27 February 2006 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"Pi" speakers have come a long way since then!

Great work Wayne!

Ron

Re: A brief history of π Speakers [message #48981 is a reply to message #48974] Mon, 27 February 2006 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount
Thanks Wayne, i am on the way for about 8-10 days (will work in NC for while) and then will be ready for one of the kits. Room 400sq/ft Regards!
Dragan

Re: "Resonates With Me", The Punmeister! [message #48985 is a reply to message #48975] Wed, 01 March 2006 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I like the way you get those in there. I like a good pun myself; as corny as they are they do brighten up a day. Well I gotta go to the cleaners; I have a pressing engagement.

Re: A brief history of π Speakers [message #49006 is a reply to message #48974] Fri, 03 March 2006 17:33 Go to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Thankyou for sharing your little story.
I think your work is a good Work of Art.
I am very "impressed" every day.
Congratulations for the "P"i Wayne Speakers!

Previous Topic: Bass Guitar Speaker in Seven π
Next Topic: the begin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:38:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout