Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » piezos
piezos [message #48912] Sat, 18 February 2006 16:37 Go to next message
Bill Thornton is currently offline  Bill Thornton
Chancellor
Hi All,
I was browsing the web trying to gather info on using piezos with some wharfedale 5" units that were on sale on Ebay here in blighty and stumbled across PI speakers and then the forum. WHAT a revelation so much common sense in the voodoo world of hifi I have never before seen! I complement you on your straightforward, no nonsense designs! They remind me of the efforts by Goodmans, Tannoy etc in the fifties - good design based on science & experience. Now the bad news I am not about to buy Pi speakers but have built something similar to PI 1's in tiny cabs with the aforementioned Wharfedale 5" units and since there is more experience here with piezo's than elsewhere I have a question to ask :- Is there any mileage in stripping piezo's and doping the cones?

Re: piezos [message #48913 is a reply to message #48912] Sun, 19 February 2006 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Yepp. It takes out some of the sizzlyness. And damp the horn with plasticine or wheaterstripping while you´re at it.

Re: piezos [message #48914 is a reply to message #48913] Sun, 19 February 2006 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Thanks for replying Kim ,I am informed by Comet Spares that my order for
2 Motorola KSN 1038's are in the post (I'll believe it when I see them
the original pair they sent were clones!) We live in (faint) hope!

Re: piezos [message #48915 is a reply to message #48914] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi Bill,
Is that the same supplier of White Domestics in the UK?
I didn't see any Motorola besides some no name woofers.
By the way check this, from Wayne P. on this Forum:
(http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/6763.html)
I always like to check the curves of response. If I (would) do alterations at home, in a speaker, I would like to measure them afterwards. That's only my opinion.
By the way I have a pair of clones from Europe made I don't know where, and they are the worst s?@$%& I have ever listen to. I have another pair and they are pretty good. Some factories, when you check their website don't even show the response curves. I am told they go out of busyness some of them.
Best Regards

Re: piezos [message #48916 is a reply to message #48915] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
It is & It isnt -- Comet Spares are a separate entity with there own website etc and seem to be mail order only. And yes you wont find any mention of motorola piezos in their in line catalogue since I threatened them with the Sale of Goods Act. I am not sure if they ever had any at all, but they assure me they will send the goods I ordered and I have Emails clearly indicating Motorola KSN 1038 ,so we wait with baited breath ! Perhaps theyve scoured the world for a pair just for ME!!!

Re: piezos [message #48917 is a reply to message #48916] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
You will get your money back...
What will you do for a project after? You (will) need MiDs (freq.).

Re: piezos [message #48919 is a reply to message #48917] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Well there's something in the post - God Knows what!
By mids do you mean mid range drive units?

Re: piezos [message #48920 is a reply to message #48917] Sun, 19 February 2006 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Well there's something in the post - God Knows what!
By mids do you mean mid range drive units?

Re: piezos [message #48922 is a reply to message #48920] Sun, 19 February 2006 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
5"s you have are for mid-bass? Do you have enough mids (frequency)? In those twet's you have 105 dB SPL (I think). what are your plans.

Re: piezos [message #48924 is a reply to message #48922] Mon, 20 February 2006 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor

The 5" units were originally fitted in wharfedale diamond speakers and are good for 50hz up to about 8Khz But I also have 2 10" speakers mounted under the stairs (were tight for space in this cottage!) that can act as a sub for the lower registers.If you wish to get the full story visit the DIY audio website and read the " My Little speakers " thread. P.s. the piezos arrived in the post and are the same as originally supplied (clones) but in fairness to Comet they were supplied to them as Motorola Ksn1038 by a firm called CPC (they are in their original packaging )So CAVEAT EMPTOR everyone!Its back to the drawing board. The speakers sound reasonable with the clones in ,I may just raise the x/over point and pad them down and try the doping & damping tricks.

Previous Topic: Re: Seven pi-18 photos?
Next Topic: Is this flattery?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 16:58:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout