Home » Audio » General » And now, the speaker cables
And now, the speaker cables [message #4885] Tue, 20 May 2008 15:16 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I thought it was a good idea to maintain the geometry to the very end so I unwound the black only, leaving the green and white alone.

Did any of you think the cables looked good with the colored wires exposed? I sure didn't.

Shrunk 1/4" tubing the full length of the exposed wires.

BTW, this is 3M polyolefin from Mouser at a very reasonable price. Typical 3M goodness. Even with the high heat setting on the Milwaukee gun, it doesn't discolor.

Once the individual hot and neutral were covered it was time to dress and color code the nearly completed wires with 1/2". I covered about 2" of the white outer jacket and an inch of the wires. Here's where a really professional job can be done with adhesive lined shrink. I didn't have any, but if you do. a good trick is covering the jaws of your needle nose with electric tape to keep from marring the shrink and pressing down between the two sets of wires while the tube is still warm, creating a nice V-shape.

Inspected by No. 1

She's casting the well-known jaundiced-eye at the terminations. I ordered the bananas mentioned in the article but couldn't wait for their arrival. Those are screw-on AudioQuest nanners at one end, and for now, bare wire at the other.

Found a fairly reasonably-priced source for the Swiss made bananas in sets of 8, not 100, see the link.

That's enough bandwidth, got the tubes warming up to listen to the new wires.

Re: And now, the speaker cables [message #4888 is a reply to message #4885] Wed, 21 May 2008 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotta love Inspector #1!

Re: And now, the speaker cables [message #4889 is a reply to message #4885] Mon, 26 May 2008 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Hi Bill,

I was wondering how long your new cables are and if you get a chance, and have a meter, could you measure the capacitance of the cable. Interested in knowing the capacitance per foot for personal knowledge.

Thanks.
Steve

Re: How to measure capacitance? [message #4890 is a reply to message #4889] Mon, 26 May 2008 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I get a reading of .093nF very briefly, then back to zero, over the 9' of the cables but that can't be right. What's the right way to measure?

Re: How to measure capacitance? [message #4892 is a reply to message #4890] Tue, 27 May 2008 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You'll need a dedicated capacitance meter, or a measurement system that is designed to measure capacitance. It will have to be capable of measuring very small values.

The way the tester works is to pass an AC signal through the DUT. Internally, the circuit is a voltage divider or Wheatstone bridge. The signal across the DUT is sampled and compared with the input to determine the drop, which indicates reactive impedance.

Re: What he said! [message #4893 is a reply to message #4892] Tue, 27 May 2008 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I love Wheatstones. So crunchy, great with dip.

Re: What he said! [message #4896 is a reply to message #4893] Wed, 28 May 2008 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: What he said! [message #4902 is a reply to message #4893] Thu, 29 May 2008 21:08 Go to previous message
cryoparts is currently offline  cryoparts
Esquire
Ha! That is funny!

Lee

Previous Topic: Finding more $$$ for audio stuff
Next Topic: Guerrilla Audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:40:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio