Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Loudspeaker overcurrent protection
Loudspeaker overcurrent protection [message #48876] Thu, 16 February 2006 06:27 Go to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi Wayne,

I want to take the opportunity to ask if you tested and used PTCs and PolySwitch ® before for protection of the HF drivers. What was your impression of them?

Should I point for PTC amperage and triggering at half the wattage RMS or (half) the max. handling watts of the driver. I can use the initial resistance values (at 20º, before tripping) and enter them in SPICE, say .31 min and .48 max (for RXEF065 Polyswitch coupled with a 45Wrms driver) in series, averaging between .25 and .75 Ohms (for RXEF050 and RXEF075).

Is the time to trip, 4/5 seconds too much for the driver to handle, just in case?

From your perspective when installed in the X-over circuit do they (PTCs) alter the sound quality in any way? From your point of view the use of a fuse (series with the PTC) or a lamp (in parallel) ‘a la Eminence’ is a good idea? What is the best protection set-up?

(>custom-built aerospace lamps as positive temperature coefficient series varistors: Eminence PX SERIES pro x-overs)

Best Regards

Re: Loudspeaker overcurrent protection [message #48881 is a reply to message #48876] Thu, 16 February 2006 11:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't be comfortable with a 4 second trip time, no. One thing that's kind of cool about lamp filaments is that they increase resistance as they heat up and start to glow, so they introduce increasingly more compression as power goes up.

Previous Topic: B&C and eigthteensound look alike ?
Next Topic: seven pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:49:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout