Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Corner horns with no corners?
Corner horns with no corners? [message #48860] Tue, 14 February 2006 21:31 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've E-mailed with Wayne somewhat about the virtues of corner vs. non-corner loading cabinets and he is of the opinion I would like the corner loading better. Here's the rub-- I don't have two corners I can use in my present house (we're leasing). Can two short panels, say 48" tall for arguements sake, that are 36" wide and hinged at the middle be substituted for corners to good effect?

Re: Corner horns with no corners? [message #48864 is a reply to message #48860] Wed, 15 February 2006 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a tough one, I know, I have the same problem. In some cases, that works. In other cases, the "wings" are too flimsy. So make sure if you use extenders, they're sturdy and well-damped. I don't want them to color the sound by making a sound of their own.

Re: Corner horns with no corners? [message #48867 is a reply to message #48864] Wed, 15 February 2006 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Houw about a framed with 2x4's panel, enclosed all the way around with tile backer board, then a drywall or plywood covering over that for asthetics.

Re: Corner horns with no corners? [message #48868 is a reply to message #48867] Wed, 15 February 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a very good plan. Just listen for sympathetic vibrations when you're done. Give it the knuckle rap test - It should sound dead - Then also pay attention to the sound of the panel when music is played. Naturally, you don't want it to make any sound.

Re: Corner horns with no corners? [message #48869 is a reply to message #48867] Wed, 15 February 2006 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I'll bet a little of the expandable foam (for insulation) inside would make it very dead.

Re: Corner horns with no corners? [message #48871 is a reply to message #48867] Wed, 15 February 2006 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
Slightly OT- When I play my sax near the TV, I can hear sympathetic resonance from the shadow mask inside the CRT.

Larry

Re: Corner horns with no corners? [message #48872 is a reply to message #48871] Wed, 15 February 2006 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Absolutely. One of the most annoying things is sympathetic vibrations from things in the environment.

'Bout your television, have you ever turned up your sound system loud enough to blur the picture? It changes the colors and blurs everything, looking almost like it was temporarily magnetized.

Found a pic at Guerrilla Audio! [message #48875 is a reply to message #48860] Wed, 15 February 2006 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
One of the new sponsors, Guerrilla Audio, has a pic of exactly what I was suggesting! Scroll down to the bottom of the page. What are the odds of finding a picture of what I was trying to describe?

Re: Found a pic at Guerrilla Audio! [message #48880 is a reply to message #48875] Thu, 16 February 2006 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right. A Klipschorn with wings:

Re: Wings with hinges or rollers [message #48901 is a reply to message #48875] Fri, 17 February 2006 20:23 Go to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi Shane,
I just found (and remember on how to do it) this nice idea on this site in France PHY-HP ‘haut parleurs’. They have speakers that are beautiful works of art in bronze and a … sand baffle with piano hinges for the open baffle configuration.
Check it out: (www.phy-hp.com/Communication/Com_Baffle_Plan_Impr.html). You can move your wings with hinges accordingly… If you need to move you just take out the sand.
...or rollers...
(www.zenn.com.sg/Solid_35kg_stds.JPG)
…another one…
(http://arolio.free.fr/hifi/hifi3.html)
Best Regards

Previous Topic: Theater 4 or 7 plans?
Next Topic: Le (T/S)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:17:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects