Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » seven pi
seven pi [message #48829] Mon, 13 February 2006 11:46 Go to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hy Wayne ..could use the sigma pro 18 in a seven pi instead o the omega pro 18. thanks

Re: seven pi [message #48830 is a reply to message #48829] Mon, 13 February 2006 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, I haven't tried the Sigma 18, nor have I even modeled it to see how it will act. You want a slightly overdamped alignment for most rooms. A flat alignment is good for very large rooms.

Re: seven pi [message #48831 is a reply to message #48829] Mon, 13 February 2006 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
The Sigma 18 and Magnum 18HO have almost identical T/S parameters. The Sigma 18 should work well in the Audiophile series 7 Pi 18 enclosure. The Sigmas have a great low price and more Xmax, but Magnums have lower distortion. (Hence the "Audiophile series")
I have heard the Magnum 18HO on two occasions and they have very nice bass indeed. I listen to Sigmas every week at a friends studio and I think they are great woofers. The distortion is not obvious, and the price is nice. If the Magnums are bad for your budget, the Sigma is a good compromise. I may be using them in a DJ setup soon.

Thomas

Re: seven pi options [message #48832 is a reply to message #48831] Mon, 13 February 2006 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good info, Thomas, thanks. I wasn't in a place where I could model the Sigma 18, so I couldn't be much help. I'm glad you could assist, your comments were very helpful.

I'm working with some B&C woofers and mids, getting ready to offer more options. Looks like they'll work well in the Audiophile and Professional Series, and I might offer B&C tweeters as upgrade options on some of the other lines as well.

Re: seven pi *thanks* [message #48833 is a reply to message #48830] Mon, 13 February 2006 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
thanks Wayne and thomas I was comparing the sigma 18 and the magnum 18 from the Eminence website as you refer Thomas they look almost identical but as Wayne said in earlier post the magnums have a copper shorthing ring according eminence to mninimize distortion .Here in Mexico Thomas I can get the eminence in very competitive prices the Wayne prices I belive are the best in the States but I must pay besidse shipping customs du ties the only eminence Mexico dealer can get me better prices but buying dealer quantites very tenting .again thanks both

Howdy! [message #48834 is a reply to message #48832] Mon, 13 February 2006 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi Wayne,
As it happened I have been modeling 18's lately for a dj setup. The Magnum & Sigma 18's were on my short list so I had the answer on the tip of my keyboard

I really like some of the B&C stuff on paper. I am seeing good feedback from users too. Can't Wait to see what you cook up with them as well.

I have a new thread in mind so I will see you up top.

Thomas

Re: seven pi *thanks* [message #48835 is a reply to message #48833] Mon, 13 February 2006 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, shorting rings reduce distortion. See the link below for more information:

B&C Components [message #48836 is a reply to message #48834] Mon, 13 February 2006 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ever since last year's Great Plains Audiofest, I had been planning to evaluate B&C drivers for the Audiophile Series or for something in between that and the Professional Series. I got busy with the 12π basshorn sub and the Prosound Shootout, and didn't have time to get around to it until now. But I really like the sound of B&C components, and I'm not sure what direction Eminence is taking with their Magnums, so it seems like the timing is right.

Re: B&C Components [message #48846 is a reply to message #48836] Tue, 14 February 2006 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
keep us updated- I've looked at the Box 15 design they have before, and it looks pretty good. Uses the 3" voice coil driver, but for SET that may be good trade-off for the extra few dB's it gives in efficiency. Supposed to be very nice, but I've never heard them. Eminence definitely has a proven commodity.

Re: B&C Components [message #48847 is a reply to message #48846] Tue, 14 February 2006 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Eminence is good, I've use them for decades and been very happy. But I'm not sure how committed they are towards their models that have a shorting ring. It costs more to machine a speaker with a shorting ring, and there is more engineering involved. Eminence has changed their line and may be reconsidering their position towards making drivers at this performance level.

Previous Topic: Loudspeaker overcurrent protection
Next Topic: First impression of Royal Cable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:04:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout