Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Magnet wire ok as speaker wire?
Magnet wire ok as speaker wire? [message #48840] Tue, 14 February 2006 06:29 Go to next message
Frnak Mena is currently offline  Frnak Mena
Esquire
Hi all.
I have a Bottlehead/Pi tube system: Foreplay II > Paramours >Theater 4 Pi and want to know if it's ok to use 20 ga magnet wire as speaker wire. I plan to run 8 twisted wires (4 strands to each speaker terminal) per speaker run with a length of 3 ft from amplifier to speaker. I seem to recall a post in the archives that magnet wire was not ok but can't find the reference. Can some one clarify this for me?

I've tried to find that Royal Cable speaker wire (mentioned by Mr Epstein) at the local Walmart but they don't seem to carry it here in Ontariairrio (Canada). Any suggestions for a replacement? I've also tried to find solid core magnet wire but the thickest I can find is 20 ga.

Cheers.
Frank Mena

Re: Magnet wire ok as speaker wire? [message #48841 is a reply to message #48840] Tue, 14 February 2006 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
I can't comment on the magnet wire questions, but I'd like to hear more about your system and it's performance. I have a pair of Wright Sound 2A3 amps, and have been considering either the Pi Theater 4 or the Audiophile 7. One concern is how well the 2A3's can drive a 15" spepaker.

Re: How well 2A3's drive 15" speaker [message #48842 is a reply to message #48841] Tue, 14 February 2006 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
In my system the 2A3's are easily driven with the Theater 4 pi's. With the Paramours & Foreplay II it is a relatively easy load for the speakers. I can't comment on the Wright's since I have not heard them with Theater 4 pi's nor know much about them. Perhaps Wayne may comment. I suspect they may be similar.

In my system the sound fills the room easily. They can easily get very loud if that is desired and fill the whole house with music. The best I can describe it is a "live" performance in your listening room, but with my case the "richness" of a tube system. One of my favourite CD's is Diana Kralls earlier work (the newer stuff doesn't grab me as much), a tribute to Cole Porter, the title escapes me, but every time I listen to the trio, it's like I'm in a club listening.

Neat stuff.
Cheers
FM

Re: Magnet wire ok as speaker wire? [message #48845 is a reply to message #48840] Tue, 14 February 2006 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
try it out- you might be surprised. You can actually use one strand per connection and get good sound. Experiment a little. I got some wire at Walmart in the regular audio section (before I knew it Bill's reco was in auto section), made by Phillips in China, and am using that over Cat5 cables and magnet wire....

Re: Magnet wire ok as speaker wire? [message #48848 is a reply to message #48845] Tue, 14 February 2006 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Matts. I did go over the automotive section of Wallmart & didn't see it in the two stores I went to. I did see your Philips wire & will give that a try after the magnet wire.

Cheers.
FM

Re: Magnet wire ok as speaker wire? [message #48849 is a reply to message #48840] Tue, 14 February 2006 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Look for Royal Cable in the automotive section at Wal-Mart. It comes in oragnge or yellow jacket, depending on gauge. Also, the Royal Cable lable is not obvious at first glance, so look at the package carefully. If you cannot find any, email me......Colin

My system exactly! [message #48850 is a reply to message #48840] Tue, 14 February 2006 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Heavy metal up-graded Paramours with 76 drivers, Transformer output(parafeed) Foreplay I, Theater 4's and 24awg (I think) magnet wire bi-wired speaker cables. I use single runs and get great sound. I understand that with lower power (ie.2A3's) there is plenty of copper in these thin wires for the signal to flow. Bass responce is much better than with my old Audioquest hoses and dynamics are great as well. As for other 2A3 amps driving my Theater 4s I have less experience but I feel my parafeed Paramours out powered (subjective dynamics) my EL-84 PP Heathkit amp(17WPC) and another higher powered SE amp that was not parafed and will go unidentified to maintain friendship. Parafeed amps do the bass/ macrodynamics thing very well with proper tuning of the choke and output cap.
FWIW, I'm just gearing up to evaluate Bill E.s recommended Royal able and will post comments in the future.

G.

Is Royal Cable available any place other than Wal-Mart? [message #48851 is a reply to message #48849] Tue, 14 February 2006 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
If not, my system will never see it.

I'm with ya, man! [message #48852 is a reply to message #48851] Tue, 14 February 2006 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Our firm is currently designing a huge art museum for Alice Walton in Bentonville Arkansas and there is alot of joking and asides going on about Walmart etc as you can well imagine.

G.

Re: Magnet wire ok as speaker wire? ** from where ** [message #48853 is a reply to message #48848] Tue, 14 February 2006 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
when yours gentleman speak about magnet wire I must understand wire stripped from a electric motor repair shop .thanks

Previous Topic: Plans Please
Next Topic: B&C and eigthteensound look alike ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:25:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio