Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Need help choosing a model
Need help choosing a model [message #48812] Tue, 07 February 2006 11:19 Go to next message
paba is currently offline  paba
Chancellor
Hello,

my kid brother is an aspiring young DJ. He has asked me to help him make a set of speakers for his events. I immediately thought of Pi Speakers because I could buy the parts and the plans and build the cabinets for him. Also because these models have some high SPL abilities.

I guess my question is what model should I consider.
Requirements are:
150 watts power handling minimum
Bass output is very important
no corner loading, he has to be able to put the speakers anywhere.
easy cabinet to build (bass reflex)

Looking over the product list, I'm tempted to go 4 pi bass reflex Theatre Series because it has the lowest frequency spec (25 Hz) and it handles 300W max power. I'm concerned with the top end only going to 16Khz, I know kids can hear up to 20Khz so maybe there is a tweeter upgrade option to get me that higher reach?

Am I on the right path?
Thanks for your patience and help
Paba

Re: Need help choosing a model [message #48813 is a reply to message #48812] Tue, 07 February 2006 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
My guess is that most kids won't miss the last few KHz, let alone
know to listen for them. Consider the other typical sound
reproduction equipment they listen to. The Theater 4-Pi's will
be a nice improvement in most cases.
Chris

Re: Need help choosing a model [message #48814 is a reply to message #48812] Tue, 07 February 2006 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If size is important, you might consider the Stage four π too.

Stage four π loudspeaker

Re: Need help choosing a model [message #48815 is a reply to message #48812] Tue, 07 February 2006 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi paba,
Great question. I know Wayne P. can answer your question. If he doesn't mind, I just want to say that you need to know the size of the room and how many people attend the events. You should know the height of the rooms you are playing. All that has influence with pressure of sound (dB-SPL). I am planning for me a set-up with two speakers and in a later time (months) getting a 4-speaker set-up, convention/DJ mix type. Now, PiSpeakers have a tweeter Vifa DX25 that sends more than 92 dB SPL at 20KHz., and 90 dB SPL at 40KHz. So don’t get taken by ‘readings’. The PSD Horn Driver PSD2002 is able of 100dB at 15KHz, but Wayne P. can get from it a better performance because he use’s a special x-over with compensation and response after 20000Hz. But you are also very right when young kids approach a speaker and they either see a SUPER-Tweeter or not. Wayne can tell you more. I would probably upgrade to the best SUB-in-the-world, that Wayne have, but that’s on my dreams...
Regards
...You are on the right track.

"the best SUB-in-the-world" [message #48816 is a reply to message #48815] Tue, 07 February 2006 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If it weren't that Paba asked for an easy-to-build bass reflex box, I would have definitely suggested the 12π to augment the bottom octave. I'm not sure he'll need or want subs, but if so, they're available at various price/performance and DIY skill levels.

12π basshorn subwoofer

The four π sounds pretty good all by itself, but if subs are required, there are a few good smaller (and simpler) cabinets that would work very well. The 12π basshorn isn't any more difficult to build than any other folded horn, but any basshorn is definitely more complicated to build than a bass-reflex box. Something like the (10ft3) four π-18 subwoofer or the (4ft3) three π subwoofer might be more viable, if subs are required.

Re: Need help choosing a model [message #48817 is a reply to message #48812] Tue, 07 February 2006 15:37 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I think you'd really like the Stage 4's for this purpose. I have some and a couple of my son's friends who do dj work think they're great. They're smaller than the Theatre 4's, handle higher power, and you will have no shortage of bass for the type of music you're talking about, and at louder volumes, don't worry about the treble. Many of the best JBL pro systems go just as high.

Previous Topic: Source for JBL 2245?
Next Topic: 8Pi plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:49:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout