Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 Pi Theater With 8" Eminence Beta Midrange
3 Pi Theater With 8" Eminence Beta Midrange [message #48722] Fri, 27 January 2006 19:19 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I posted this on the High Efficiency Speaker forum, but I thought some Pi speaker owners might be interested too so it's duplicated here. I reconfigured the speakers with the woofer and tweeter in the enclosure just as the plans specify, and the Beta 8 in a separate 0.5 cu ft sealed enclosure atop the main cabinet. In the process I remodeled the enclosures into an "art deco" style.

The Delta 12LF is now rolled off with a 6mH 16ga Erse Super Q inductor (0.27 ohms DCR). The woofer low pass filter now controls the midrange driver, with no chages except for the zoebel cap. The sealed enclosure rolls off the bass with a -3dB frequency of about 120hz. The tweeter high pass filter is unchanged. It plays really loud and clear with the 40 watt Audio Mirror SET monoblocks, and the 3 watt Paramours will drive it to room filling volume too.

Re: 3 Pi Theater With 8" Eminence Beta Midrange [message #48723 is a reply to message #48722] Fri, 27 January 2006 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Very nice looking! Bet they sound great, too. Nice to be able to fit that 8" in with such minimal changes to xover circuit.

Re: 3 Pi Theater With 8" Eminence Beta Midrange [message #48726 is a reply to message #48722] Sat, 28 January 2006 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan is currently offline  Stefan
Chancellor
Excellent job FredT

I want to paint my 1 Pi like your Audio Nirvana 8" speakers.
Do you tell me what kind of paint you use?

Paint [message #48727 is a reply to message #48726] Sat, 28 January 2006 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is your lucky day! There are three relatively easy ways to paint a speaker enclosure, and for the AN's I used the easiest: Truck bed liner in a spray can. I used two cans to get three coats on the AN enclosures. The downside is that it remains a bit sticky, it stinks for a while, and it doesn't look very good up close. Be sure to do it outdoors and plan to leave the painted enclosures in the garage for a few days or your wife may do the "It's me or the speakers" routine. I'm sure you can get some at Pep Boys or the equivalent.

The next easiest way is to get a quart of Rustoleum American Accents satin black, plus a small short nap roller from Home Depot and roll the paint on. This looks much better than the truck bed liner. The only downside is that it's a vinyl paint and, while it drys to touch in a few hours, it's damp underneath the dry outer skin for several weeks. So your drivers will stick to the enclosure and if you later remove them the gasket may be torn. Also, don't place anything heavy on top of the speaker for a month or so.

The best looking way (other than automotive quality painting) is to use a spray can of Rustoleum American Accents satin black. THe paint in the spray cans is solvent based rather than water based. The downside here is that you need to first apply a good primer or the mdf will suck up the thin, solvent based paint and the finish will not look good. I use two succesive coats of a 50/50 carpenters glue & water mixture with sanding between coats and afterward. Then three coats of the spray paint with no sanding and about 15 minutes between coats. This is what I did with the Pi speakers, and the finish is very nice - comparable to that of black-painted high end speakers.

The Final Verdict Is... [message #48736 is a reply to message #48722] Sun, 29 January 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After listening for a weekend and hearing some discontinuities I didn't like, I finally decided to reverse the changes and restore the 3 Pi's to their original two-way configuration. Looks like Wayne has nailed the crossover for the 3 Pi - the stock two-way version sounds much smoother over the full range than the three driver version. Picture of the final product in the link below.

Re: The Final Verdict Is... [message #48737 is a reply to message #48736] Sun, 29 January 2006 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hy .Fred coul tell me you oppinion of the Pi 3 stock against of the magnepans speakers that look so nice in yours picture..thanks

3 Pi versus Magnepans [message #48740 is a reply to message #48737] Sun, 29 January 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The biggest difference is about 12-15dB sensitivity. The 3 Pi will play louder with a 2 watt amp than the Maggies will play with 200 watts. The Magnepan 3.6's are the best sounding speakers I have owned, but I sold them because they would clip a 110w/ch Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp, and to my ears the smaller amps, especially SET's, sounded better. So for about $4,500 you can get one of the best speakers in the world, but you will need to spend another $10K minimum to get the amount of tube power needed to drive it. The 3 Pi doesn't have the resolution of the Magnepan, but I prefer to listen to it with my 3 watt Bottlehead Paramours over the Maggies with a monster amp. Other than that it's hard to compare them because two speakers couldn't be more different than the 3 Pi's and the Maggie 3.6's. Try to imagine two women: One is tall & thin, PHD in Economics, high $ net worth, sophisticated, enjoys opera, likes to dine at expensive restaurants, but with a personality that's a bit on the cool side. The other is short & curvey (but not fat), high school diploma, has $500 in her checking account, enjoys C&W music, likes Shiner beer and backyard barbeques, is warm hearted, and cooks the best apple pie in town. Which would you be happier with?

Re: 3 Pi versus Magnepans [message #48742 is a reply to message #48740] Sun, 29 January 2006 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Do they shop at Victorias Secret? Do they talk a lot? Do they let the dog sleep in the bed?

fred thanks but * [message #48743 is a reply to message #48740] Sun, 29 January 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
thanks for you answer but what about of the line array that also look fine it could best compare to the 3 Pi .

Re: 3 Pi versus Magnepans [message #48744 is a reply to message #48742] Mon, 30 January 2006 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The thin one shops at Victorias Secret; the short one prefers Target except for when she's buying you a surprise gift of a 100' roll of Royal speaker cable, for which she shops at Wal Mart. Both talk a lot, but not in bed; there the short one is noisier. The thin one doesn't like dogs; the short one loves them so much she lets them lick her face.

Previous Topic: Measuring Doppler Distortion
Next Topic: 300B+7Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:51:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout