Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Seven pi corner
Seven pi corner [message #48572] Tue, 10 January 2006 06:13 Go to next message
mito is currently offline  mito
Chancellor

Hi Guy´s

I would like to check if sombody of you out there are having some experences of the seven pi cornes speakers.

I would appreciate if sombody who has build a corner speaker could share some oppinions/experences of them! What kind of music they works best with etc.. and which series you recommends.

Yes, and the pros and cons please. [message #48573 is a reply to message #48572] Tue, 10 January 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
I'd love to hear about the pros and cons of these speakers before I buld a pair.

JD

Re: Yes, and the pros and cons please. [message #48574 is a reply to message #48573] Tue, 10 January 2006 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The benefits of the π cornerhorn include constant directivity and a wide sweet spot in addition to all the other advantages of horn loading, i.e. increased efficiency, reduced distortion, etc. The sound source comes from a single location - the apex of the room corner - and the coverage angle is a constant 90° for the entire audio range. Each horn (low, mid, high) has this pattern so the reverberent field is highly uniform. Corner placement makes each horn radiate into constrained space, which makes their response curves smoother than any other location. Early reflections from sidewalls, floor and ceiling are reduced yet room coverage is very good. The only drawback is that placement is limited to room corners. But if you have the corners available, use them.

Re: Yes, and the pros and cons please. [message #48575 is a reply to message #48573] Tue, 10 January 2006 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Wayne has just touched on what it is like to listen to these speakers.

Yes, the coverage is technically even. They are a HIGH efficiency speaker. With good drivers the sound is clear and powerful. We're talking a physical presence to the sound here. I had a friend that explained they weren't room filling speakers, they were house filling speakers. All with very little power being used by the amplifier. This also means if you have a fairly low powered amplifier you can use these speakers.

Wayne mentioned you need corners. You should also be aware that these are physically large speakers (check out the dimensions on the price list).

Then there is the dollars verses performance issue. For the bucks these speakers give you A LOT of performance.

Another issue is difficulty of build. If you can build a box, you can build these speakers. They are at a very different build level than say Waynes Pi 12 speakers which have a lot more pieces and angles or Bill Fitzmaurice's speakers.

Plans from Wayne are free still I think (can't lose there).

Support on the forum is great when you have questions.

You could probably decide to throw together a box yourself that would work. Wayne has had this design around for quite a while though and has had a lot of time to get it right. If you decide to build them you may want to look at the kit prices, or at a minimum check out the crossovers available on this site. Wayne builds his own crossovers which are quite good.

Happy building whatever option you choose.

Grant.

Re: Yes, and the pros and cons please. [message #48578 is a reply to message #48575] Tue, 10 January 2006 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
hy Grant .thanks to share your oppinion of your pi speaker .But I have doubt .I read a few post that you are using k-horn 15 inch woofer and 1660 PHL as mid my question is what 7Pi model you build and do you think that going with the originals drivers recomended by Wayne could give better sound .thanks

Re: Yes, and the pros and cons please. [message #48581 is a reply to message #48575] Wed, 11 January 2006 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mito is currently offline  mito
Chancellor

Thank`s Grant for your oppinions!

Are you using JBL or Eminence drivers?
Du to the cost of JBL drivers do you have experence of the Emeinence drivers for the corner horn?

Thank`s !

Michael

and more questions... [message #48582 is a reply to message #48572] Wed, 11 January 2006 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bernieclub is currently offline  bernieclub
Esquire
I've been forcefully removed from my usual medium sized listening room to a spare bedroom, 13.5x11x8ft. Contemplating a new speaker project now that I have corners! Is this too much speaker for this room size? I don't listen very loud (85db or so), use low power amps, and my experience is mostly with single driver type speakers. Can anyone who has experience comment on whether horns can "fade away" like a single driver? Is a two way with dome tweeter better for this room? I do need efficiency.
Thanks!
Bernie

Re: and more questions... [message #48584 is a reply to message #48582] Wed, 11 January 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They'll work wonderfully in a room that size.

Re: Yes, and the pros and cons please. [message #48597 is a reply to message #48578] Thu, 12 January 2006 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

I bought a pair of Theater series pi 7's with the Emminence (Deltas I think) then heard other horn systems at an audio get together. The Pi 7's with the Emminence drivers just didn't sound clean after hearing the other systems. Note that there were a LOT more bucks in the other systems than I had in the Pi 7's.

I changed to what I did partly because the first horns I heard were Klipsch cornerhorns and the K15's were one of the speakers used in them. Part of this whole journey for me is "playing around". I enjoy myself as do a majority of other people in the DIY forums.

If I was just going for good sound with no playing around I'd just pick up one of Waynes kits including his crossovers with the JBL drivers and expect better sound than I currently have. I'd buy the wood locally though. This opinion is based completely on respect for Waynes knowledge related to audio.

Wipe that smile off your face Wayne ;-).

Grant.

Re: Yes, and the pros and cons please. [message #48598 is a reply to message #48581] Thu, 12 January 2006 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount

Hi Micheal.

I did my own thing and use an old Klipsch K43 driver for the 15" bass and a PHL midrange with the Emminence horn up top. The horn I use for the Emminence driver is an old Altec 32b bent horn.

You can always choose to mix and match a bit. Use the JBL 15 inch down low with the MUCH cheaper but still respectable Emminence driver up top. Many people have used 40 by 90 degree horns from other companys like Peavy instead of JBL or Emminence.

That's the freedom of do it yourself. If your not sure if something will work post a question on the forum. There's lots of support here. Be forewarned though. When you start building you're not sure. Then you start having fun checking things out. Next thing, the closets fill up with audio parts ....

Grant.

Previous Topic: Anybody with plans and circuit for 12" based 3 ways?
Next Topic: speaker advice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 25 12:40:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout