Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » High freq peak problem?
High freq peak problem? [message #48566] Mon, 09 January 2006 11:27 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Guys,

I was listening to a 90's vintage Dorian recording on CD and came to one piece where a flute really blasts out on one note with the other notes adjacent seeming to all be at the same amplitude. Is this a problem with my room or with my Theater 4's. I've not particularly noticed a peak at this frequency before and I doubt that a Dorian recording would have such a loud peak; they are noted for their good recordings. Would/could a peak like this occur with such a small bandwidth?

Thanks!

Garland

Re: High freq peak problem? [message #48568 is a reply to message #48566] Mon, 09 January 2006 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you have Speaker Workshop or something like that, you might try measuring the system indoors and outdoors, to see if the peak is there. If it is there indoors but not outdoors, then it is something in the room. If it is outdoors too, then it is in the speaker, perhaps something loose and buzzing or maybe cone breakup. If you don't see the peak either indoors or outdoors, then it is the recording.

Re: High freq peak problem? [message #48570 is a reply to message #48566] Mon, 09 January 2006 17:39 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've had that sometimes with a few notes on Jimmy Smith's "The Sermon"- there's a part where he uses some really high notes on the organ, and they used to resonate somewhere in the system and those particular notes would be twice as loud as the rest of the music. With current speakers (Stage 4) it doesn't do it anymore. Did it really bad with older Adcom amp, but just on those few notes.

Previous Topic: tower pic
Next Topic: apha question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 17:45:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout