Home » Audio » General » Ping: Mike and Adrian
Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #471] Mon, 24 May 2004 07:55 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What are some cool movies from down under? This post should really go in the MoviesAndMusic forum, but I wasn't sure if you guys checked there or not.

Every now and then, I get on a movie kick for a few days and watch something new every night just before going to sleep. You'll usually see me make a few posts in the MoviesAndMusic forum when I do. Happens 'bout every two weeks or so.

I'd love to know what cool movies you guys know about from Australia and New Zealand. I'd like to know of good ones from Britain too, and other English speaking countries outside of the USA. Actually, I like some Russian, French and Spanish movies too, but if they're subtitled, it's so distracting to try and read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen while following the action above the words. You sort of have to either pay attention to one or the other, and that's distracting. So it's really nice when the movie is in English.

One of the Australian movies I liked a lot was Mad Max and its sequels. That was the movie that really introduced Mel Gibson to the American audience, and it also gave us familiarity with Bruce Spence (the Gyro Captain) and Vernon Wells (Wez, the Humungus' second, guy on the chain).

Anyway, I'm just looking to find some good films from outside the United States, and I was hoping to get some input here or in the MoviesAndMusic forum.

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #472 is a reply to message #471] Mon, 24 May 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
apparently whale rider was good!

I dont see many movies,im sick of crap 'pop' movies,let down too much.
+ the audio system doesnt have enough bass and seems abit yuck or compressed or something.(tiny little speaker boxes)

theres one NZ movie u must get wayne,its 'goodbye porkpie' it might be hard to get in other countries,infact it was filmed even in my city too,its a 1970s movie.

Im really picky when it comes to movies. 'joedirt' was good i heard too,

LOTR ofcourse i enjoyed.. i still havent seen #3 !
my mates got a projector :-) il use that.

I like slice of life movies

Cheers!

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #473 is a reply to message #472] Mon, 24 May 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll pick up a copy of "Goodbye Pork Pie," thanks! Check out the link, because it's another review with pictures and stuff. Looks like I can buy Goodbye Pork Pie on VHS tape for eight bucks from Amazon.com. Cool!

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #474 is a reply to message #471] Tue, 25 May 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Geez Wayne, I wouldn't know! Most aussie-made movies and TV shows is crap to be honest! I know I have watched a few OK ones before, dont remember the names though - saw 'em on TV.

A lot of TV and theatre here is stuff from America and elsewhere, except for the 100 or so reality-tv shows which now go on here ((&*#$*$#*( I hate those!)

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #475 is a reply to message #474] Tue, 25 May 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, I understand. But I did like the Mad Max movies. Yahoo Serious is kinda funny too, movies like Young Einstein and Wreckless Kelly are a lot of fun. I can still hear him saying he's gotta split the beer atom!

P.S. I just realized that Hugo Weaving was in Wreckless Kelly. Hugo plays Elrond in Lord of the Rings and the anti-hero Agent Smith in The Matrix. Other Aussie info is that the Matrix was filmed in Australia, as was Dark City, another really cool movie. Man, now that I look at it, you guys are doing a lot of cool stuff down under!

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #478 is a reply to message #471] Tue, 25 May 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
There was a movie on one of the cable channels (Directv for me) a while back called something like "The Rabbit-Proof Fence," that was an Aussie movie that you might enjoy. Sort of a happy/sad movie based on a true-life story.

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #480 is a reply to message #478] Tue, 25 May 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Absolutely! If this is the movie you're talking about, Peter Gabriel did the soundtrack. He's one of my all time favorites, and I'll bet this movie is awesome. From the reviews, it looks like this one will get under your skin. It's not surprising to me that Gabriel would be involved with a project like this. His song Biko, about Steven Biko, resonates with the same kind of emotion.

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #485 is a reply to message #480] Wed, 26 May 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Yeah, that's the one.

One of the advantages or retiring young is that I get to watch a lot of movies. I may be poor, but,

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs...I have a full life."

:)

Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #486 is a reply to message #485] Wed, 26 May 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It just doesn't get any better than that!

Early Russell Crowe ....Re: Ping: Mike and Adrian [message #491 is a reply to message #471] Sun, 30 May 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

There's a DVD re-release of Russell Crowe's breakout film
from downunder called Romper Stomper. Be advised it is a punk
film and it is pretty violent but as a "slice of life" show,
it's up there with the film "Kids."

And "Once Were Warriors" gives a good take on NZ
native peoples in the modern world.

You ever see "Walkabout"? "Outback"? "Whale Rider"?

Sorry if I overdid it. ;-)

Previous Topic: Making sure y'all got that "top ten album covers info"
Next Topic: You're not going to see this very often
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 09:19:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers