Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Music for demo'ing Towers for Xmas
Music for demo'ing Towers for Xmas [message #48435] Wed, 21 December 2005 20:38 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ok guys, I've got family coming into town for the holidays and want to show off my new setup. What are a few of your favorite songs to listen to on your Pi's and why?

Here's a few of mine:

Queen -Who want's to live forever--Great vocals, soundstage, you name it Freddy had it.

Norah Jones - anything off her newest album-- sounds like you're right there in the room with her.

Metallica - One -- Kickdrum from hell!

Yo-Yo Ma -- Stuff off the Simply Baroque CD -- just so nice to listen to.

Vivaldi - 4 Seasons Telarc recording -- another nice one.

Re: Music for demo'ing Towers for Xmas [message #48436 is a reply to message #48435] Thu, 22 December 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Do you have the classic Cantate Domino? Proprius 7762.
'Oh Holy Night', 'Silent Night' and other traditional carols and hymns of Christmas sung in Danish. Wonderful organ accompanient.

Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony on Telarc with Michael Murray and the Philadelphians.

Retrospective BUffalo Springfield; ATCO SD38-105 - Jim Messina plays "lead Bass"

Miles Of Aisles Joni Mitchell live album Asylum AB202 the best live album ever heard especially sides 2 and 3 which are just Joni and Guitar right here - right now

So Long, So Wrong Alison Krause and Union Station MFSL 2-276; 'real' presentation of the full spectrum of acoustic instruments from double bass to mandolin. I miss Jerry's Dobro heard on their later stuff but when Alison cuts loose with her fiddle you know at once why the violin is the "king of instruments". Moreso than any concerto. Really! The way it stands out from even really well-played banjo and mandolin. You hear why she was known as a country fiddle prodigy long before her voice became so familiar.

Happy Holidays to all the Roundtable

Thanks Bill. [message #48437 is a reply to message #48436] Thu, 22 December 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Are those CD recordings or vinyl? All I have is CD right now, but hopefully the vinyl rig will be implemented this summer.

I'm not a big fan of bluegrass, but Krause's voice is phenomenal as is Joni's.

Pretty much everything I've heard on Telarc has been good.

I've heard that the vinyl version of Cantate Domino on Proprius is especially nice.

Re: Music for demo'ing Towers for Xmas [message #48438 is a reply to message #48435] Thu, 22 December 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've been listeing to a (wild) wide assortment of stuff. I guess the holidays makes me pretty eclectic. One minute I'm listening to Mussorgsky or Beethoven, the next to Maynard (Tool/Perfect Circle). Then I'll put on something from Kate Bush. I listen most often on the Audio Note Kit 2 with the Audiophile seven π speakers. Almost every night, I pop in a DVD and watch a movie (or maybe fall asleep to one and catch the next half the next night). This, of course, on the bedroom system with the Stoetkit and the tower two π's.

A few years back, I bought something and a sampler CD was included. It actually is excellent. It has a selection of clasical holiday music (like the Nutcracker) played by the world's best orchestras. I usually play it at least once or twice through the season, but I guess I'm still in the build-up phase 'cause I haven't slowed down enough yet to smell the egg-nog so to speak. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday.

Re: Music for demo'ing Towers for Xmas [message #48439 is a reply to message #48435] Thu, 22 December 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Not a purist recording but Manhatten Transfer's Christmas album is a fun CD with room filling sound. I always have time to listen to Vince Giraldi's "Charlie Browns Christmas" on CD and late on Christmas Eve I play a CD of "Christmas Favorites" from a laserlight CD of a radio broadcast of Bing singing carols to a live audience sometimd in the forties. This one really takes me back to my youth! - super sentimentality! So so sound but most appropriate!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!!

Garland

Stoetkit and tower two's [message #48440 is a reply to message #48438] Thu, 22 December 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That was a great sounding setup, Wayne. Especially for DVD's in a small room.

Tool huh? My brother is good friends with the drummer's brother. My brother is also a phenomenal drummer and can play all the Tool stuff.

Re: Music for demo'ing Towers for Xmas [message #48441 is a reply to message #48435] Thu, 22 December 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Here's my Christmas music list from last year.

Choral and vocal is really great for that Christmas ambiance and seeing (or rather hearing) whether the speakers sound "natural". The Paul McCreesh Lutheran Mass (voices, large chorus and orchestra) and Anonymous 4 (4 voices) are highly recommended. And if you don't have a Messiah, run out and get one.

Xmas music [message #48442 is a reply to message #48441] Thu, 22 December 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't have any Xmas music at all. Just not my thing. I do have some Rachmaninoff sp?? Vespers stuff that is quite cool to listen to.
And I heard a recording by the Tallis Scholars "Misere", I think, that was especially neat to listen to.

Re: Stoetkit and tower two's [message #48443 is a reply to message #48440] Thu, 22 December 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Now that's cool. Sounds like I need to make a trip out west to see you guys one weekend this spring.

Re: Stoetkit and tower two's [message #48444 is a reply to message #48443] Thu, 22 December 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, well--my brother moved to KC several years ago so I only see him about once a year now. I miss playing in a band with him a great deal.

I plan on coming to the Audio Fest this year so make sure you bring the Stoet so I can hear it again.

Previous Topic: PSD 2002 xover freq
Next Topic: Speaker Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 00:27:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout