Home » Audio » General » Ok, Mr. Parham. Let's see how good you really are.
Ok, Mr. Parham. Let's see how good you really are. [message #4839] Thu, 08 May 2008 13:22 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'm just kidding but if you or anybody else could help me out with this one I would be very impressed. I have a Marantz AX-1000 Audio Computer. Which for all intents and purposes is a computer. It has a Ram (or CMOS battery) backup battery on the board that has gone bad. See the picture above. It is the yellow capacitor looking thing. All it has on it is 1JD and that's it. Nobody has schematics and Marantz can't tell me it's voltage etc. The battery is completely dead so I can't measure it's voltage. Any ideas on how I can get a replacement or how I can find out it's voltage? I have checked all of the online manual places. Nobody has one.

I really need this battery replaced because without it the unit is useless.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Mr. Vinyl

This is how I'd tackle it - [message #4840 is a reply to message #4839] Thu, 08 May 2008 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Trace the circuit board and see what the battery powers. Chances are, it's a memory chip or module with memory and RTC. Might go through a diode, which will cause a 0.7v drop. Find out what component is powered by the battery and you can find out what voltage it requires. That will let you know what battery you'll need.

Re: Ok, Mr. Parham. Let's see how good you really are. [message #4841 is a reply to message #4839] Thu, 08 May 2008 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Looks like the battery has been shrink wrapped. If so, I would carefully cut the wrapper off and see what's under it. Could be a single cell (hopefully with more info) or a stack of button cells.

Might also contact your local university's EE department. I bet a someone there could help....C

You guys are the best... [message #4844 is a reply to message #4839] Fri, 09 May 2008 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Ok so I un-wrapped the battery to find two, what I would call, barrel batteries. Look like 1/2" tall watch batteries. Brought them down to the local Radio Shack. There were no identifying markings on the batteries at all. The Radio Shack guy had no idea. Anyway I ended up just taking one 3V Camera Flash Battery which was the same size as the two barrel batteries and soldered it in to see if it worked. And it did! Hopefully it will keep working. I just guessed at the voltage since most CMOS batteries were 3V. Any thanks guys.

Much appreciated!

AX-1000 - what a nice piece of gear [message #4845 is a reply to message #4844] Fri, 09 May 2008 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Did some lookin' yesterday, and what you have is quite a piece of gear, which I'm sure you already knew. Glad to see it up and working again ...C

Re: AX-1000 - what a nice piece of gear [message #4854 is a reply to message #4845] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

Yes, it's pretty cool. My understanding is that the original purchase price was around 20G. The link below is pretty much all I could find on it. I have the original owners manual but unfortunately Marantz has no schematics or service manual. Neither does any of the normal online sites. I picked it up for almost nothing.

Thanks again for yours and Wayne's help.

Re: AX-1000 - what a nice piece of gear [message #61852 is a reply to message #4854] Sun, 14 February 2010 15:36 Go to previous message
nykroppa is currently offline  nykroppa
Esquire
Hi

Would you by chance sell me a copy of the manual.I just canĀ“t get it anywhere.
Previous Topic: Last piece of the puzzle
Next Topic: Coral Bx-1500 speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 08:34:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout