Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help choose from Pi models
Help choose from Pi models [message #48331] Wed, 30 November 2005 22:33 Go to next message
Lebob is currently offline  Lebob
Chancellor
Hello,

I recently had a power surge related fire in my studio/workshop that contained my main listening audio system. I live in a hurricane Katrina recovery area with frequent power spikes and surges. The surge fried/ignited a flourecent light ballast in my studio. My speakers were once Pi Theatre 4's with Altec 806 drivers and 811b horns. Everything in my studio was turned to ash and large pieces of charcoal, including my 250+ original near-mint 50's through early 60's Jazz records; a good portion of them were originals on the Pacific and Contemporary labels. I tried to keep my record collection down to fitting into 5 shelves that fitted fifty records each; everything was perfect. It all melted including my Altec aluminum horns. Fortunately, I had two other audio systems and most of my cd's in my house and at work. I am gratefull that my family is safe. I was not asleep during the surge and turned off the house circuit breakers, but did not think to go outside and turn the breakers off to my studio.

I went through quite a few commercial and DIY speakers before settling on the Pi Theatre 4's with the Deltalite 15" neodymium woofers and Altec horns for my main audio system. My one complaint was the reaction of the speakers with the room. The best bass response could only be heard at the extreme end of an 11' by 16' room. At 15'the bass response was full and articulate; a few feet closer and the sound was distinctly different with fewer basses. I figured the fullness of basses at the back of my studio was from the combination of
approaching and reflecting sound waves.

My question is whether or not the length of the room or distance from the speaker affects the perception of bass because of the sound wave length? Do I need to factor the length of the room in my next speaker choice? Maybe I need more shorter basses/waves in my 16' room?

My new high frequency drivers will be Altec 802's with 511b horns. With my room size and shape, I am thinking I should change from the Theatre Pi 4's to Stage, Premium, or Pro Pi 4's for the low frequencies. For a person who likes warmth and a lot of bass, what would be the best Pi Four choice for an 11 by 16 foot room with 45 and 300b triodes, not parafeed? My goal is to have a two way speaker with amazing bass, oil-filled tube-rectified triode midrange magic, and crazy detail all euphonically packaged into a turbo-charged warm sound that is better than what I had before.

What is the best bass-reflex two-way bottom part?...No horns, subs, or Karlson's, been there, but will consider TAD or anything else.

Thanks,
Firemann

Re: Help choose from Pi models [message #48332 is a reply to message #48331] Thu, 01 December 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I really like Professional Series four π loudspeakers. In fact, I'm having a pair built for my personal collection right now. My favorite loudspeakers have always been seven π's, but if you don't have a room with appropriate corners, you can't use 'em.

Re: Help choose from Pi models [message #48333 is a reply to message #48332] Thu, 01 December 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Could and would you build a set of standard 4 Pi Pro, Stage or Premium cabinets without the horn cutout?

Thanks

Re: Help choose from Pi models [message #48334 is a reply to message #48333] Thu, 01 December 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Certainly.

Re: Help choose from Pi models [message #48339 is a reply to message #48334] Thu, 01 December 2005 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I did some reading on the forum but could not find much that specifically compared the 4 Pi Pro, Stage and Premium. Could you describe how they might vary from each other in a 300b set system?

Re: Help choose from Pi models [message #48342 is a reply to message #48339] Fri, 02 December 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's not just a matter of output tube, but rather the whole output circuit. You'll definitely want high efficiency speakers, but any of these models will give you that. Now what you have to look at are other things like output circuit type, transformer quality, etc.

There are differences in the midwoofers, over and above how they interact with the circuit. The woofer in the Professional Series four π has a shorting ring, so it generates much lower distortion than the others. It is very clear and detailed. The Stage four π sounds really good too, with full bass and surprisingly clear, rich midrange. The Premium four π is a little darker sounding, more powerful. Each of these speakers is best in half-space, quarter-space or somewhere in between.

Re: Help choose from Pi models [message #48343 is a reply to message #48331] Fri, 02 December 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I don't think the room length is a determining factor- you can get good bass in a small room or headphones. A whole wavelength doesn't have to develop for your ear to detect it; in fact, if your ear needed a whole 360degrees of the wave, you'd have a large ear! Same with your radio- the wavelength and frequency are ways to "describe" the wave's behavior.

You haven't mentioned any of the other usual suspects- room damping, types of furnishings in room, speaker placement, amp topology... I have Stage 4's with 2A3 Paramours, and they kick it in the bass department, even with no reinforcement from walls/corners. Lots of SET amps, though, get great mids, but just don't have it down low due to circuit/iron limitations. I'd look at the whole system, including your room, not just the speakers.

Thanks, NT [message #48344 is a reply to message #48342] Fri, 02 December 2005 21:52 Go to previous message
Chancellor
nt

Previous Topic: K or Pi horn ?
Next Topic: Stage Four pi 18"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 16:54:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio