Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two Tower initial impressions
Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48230 is a reply to message #48227] Thu, 17 November 2005 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Shane, Are you sure the phasing is correct? I just realized I have a pair of Polk 5's (haven't been used in years), but they had no bass at all compared to my Studio 2's, which have less than your Towers....so, why don't you switch the leads on one of your speakers around the other way and tell us what happens?

Re: Two Tower placement [message #48231 is a reply to message #48214] Thu, 17 November 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
This may give you some idea of what I'm up against.

Re: Lead Switch [message #48232 is a reply to message #48230] Thu, 17 November 2005 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Swapped the leads. The speakers were definitely wired correctly.

Re: Lead Switch [message #48233 is a reply to message #48232] Thu, 17 November 2005 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
You just switched the leads on ONE speaker, right? not both?

Re: OK think I've got it. Royal Cable. [message #48234 is a reply to message #48214] Thu, 17 November 2005 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Kidding! Just seeing if I can get a rise out of a few people.

Took one of the Polks in and substituted it for one of the Pi's on the NAD. Did a little left-right comparison having to quickly adjust the volume to account for sensitivity issues and the Pi's definitely put out more, lower bass. So we're OK there. Whew! Throw on the Kenwood and it put more bass out through both speakers (remember, this is what I've been used to for a longgggg time) but doesn't quite image as good as the NAD. So it's the amp! Could be that the 30 year old Kenwood is not actually putting out a flat signal with all the controls leveled out (and I usually bump up the bass and treble some), where the NAD actually is. I know with the Kenwwod I have to bump the treble up to 3/4 on the Polks for it to sound good to me. On the NAD I'm having to reduce it a bit so it's not so harsh on the Pi's and I noticed I had to do that with the Polks also. I think at this point I'll build some new IC's and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I'm going to chalk it up to years of playing loud guitar without earplugs and my lack of exposure to decent equipment. When I think back, like I said before when I heard them at Wayne's, I checked them both with Norah this time and it sounded fantastic and Pantera was very bass shy until you cranked it up on the Pi's, but these differences were less noticable on the Polks. The Pi's are defintiely more revealing and think I like that better.

So never mind guys, it's an equipment issue and a brain damage issue evidently.

Thanks for all the help....Shane

Re: levels [message #48235 is a reply to message #48222] Thu, 17 November 2005 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Gar - what levels are you listening at? I tend to listen rather softly anymore, almost as background music, unless I'm throwin' down some Disturbed or something.

Re: Lead Switch [message #48236 is a reply to message #48233] Thu, 17 November 2005 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
yep. One speaker, otherwise we'd be ending up with the same situation if they were wired wrong.

Re: Them's fghtin' words! [message #48238 is a reply to message #48234] Fri, 18 November 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Everbody knows Royal's the best.
I wonder if the Alpha's are'nt showing the little peakiness they have as you go up he scale in your room, un-balancing the bass. Maybe try a coil? I think Ron is using one on his, don't remember the value. .5 maybe.

Re: Them's fghtin' words! [message #48239 is a reply to message #48238] Fri, 18 November 2005 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Kiddin' kiddin'!!!

I like the Royal a lot. Way better than the Monster stuff I had. I've never tried "high-end" cable before and don't plan on it unless someone gives it to me. I can't see how $400-???? cable can be that much better. I'd rather spend it on new amps, speakers, anything but cable.

Might have to get another coil. Is Ron just adding this to the one that comes with the kit?

Re: Them's fghtin' words! [message #48240 is a reply to message #48239] Fri, 18 November 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have absolutely no doubt that $400 cables can change the sound of your system, and in some cases, for the better. The question is, by how much? and can you better spend the $400 in others ways to increase the enjoyment of your system?

Forget the cable, buy more CD's instead. Law of diminishing returns applies to everything. Sometimes, good enough is good enough.

Previous Topic: request for 2 pi bass reflex plans
Next Topic: Request for wooden HF horn plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 01:34:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout