Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » cables and interconnects for Two towers
cables and interconnects for Two towers [message #48120] Thu, 03 November 2005 09:13 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ok, after much hassle for Wayne and I with UPS over the last three months, I finally should have a new amp and CDP this morning (NAD 320Bee and 520Bee, sorry you SET guys, but I've decided to build the tube amps instead of buy one). Got some Royal speaker cable from Bill which sounds nice on my vintage Kenwood setup and now need to get some decent IC's for the new stuff. First of all, with Xmas coming up my fundage is severely limited, so we're looking at inexpensive IC's ($30 or so) that are of decent quality to get me by till this summer. I realize that everyone hears things differently, but opinions at his point are most welcome.

Re: cables and interconnects for Two towers [message #48121 is a reply to message #48120] Thu, 03 November 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't have a specific recommendation, but if you can solder, you can build a set for $30 that'll out perform anything you can get off the rack for that money.

If you're really serious about performance, forget the IC. Arrange your CDP and amp back to back, open up the covers, and solder the CDP output directly to the amp's input, bypassing the RCA jacks altogether. I'm only half joking of course, but the best IC is no IC.

gar.

Re: cables and interconnects for Two towers [message #48122 is a reply to message #48121] Thu, 03 November 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't mind soldering. Just finished a Millet Hybrid headphone amp I need toget connects for too.

I haven't really looked hard at any info for making cables. What parts would you suggest to get?

Re: Of 2 different minds [message #48123 is a reply to message #48122] Thu, 03 November 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have sevral pairs of the blue AR IC's you get at Best Buy fer 20 bucks and like'm. They're shielded, too.
OTOH, you can get Canare co-ax and Canare connectors, F-10 (?) I think at Michael Percy and that's a bargain to build. Good rep.

Got the new amp and CDP. [message #48124 is a reply to message #48120] Thu, 03 November 2005 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
All I can say is holy S%#@! Even with the cheapo connects that came with the CDP this thing sounds good! I have the setup in a 15x15' room with the Pi's in the corners (not ideal, but the wall is split with two doorways to go to seperate bathrooms, so the stereo is in the middle between the doors). The speakers sound a bit peaky and I had to roll the treble setting on the amp off a little bit, but I expect that to smooth out as the Pi's only have about 5 hours on them, if that, and the amp needs breaking in. Not a SET, but definitely nice sounding for an inexpensive SS setup. The Pi's will go LOUD, damn! but sound really, really good at low levels especially with acoustic tracks.

Need to go shopping tomorrow for new cables.

Re: cables and interconnects for Two towers [message #48125 is a reply to message #48120] Thu, 03 November 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
Take a look at the following sites. I have purchased cables from all of these companies and I've been happy with their interconnects.
www.bluejeanscable.com, www.heartlandcable.com, www.preludeaudio.com, and www.guerrillaaudio.com

Re: cables and interconnects for Two towers [message #48126 is a reply to message #48120] Sun, 06 November 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
I've been thinking of all the crappy ways to connect speaker wires, and what I am going to do is retrofit my amps with the Neutrik Speakon sockets. They can accept the Speakon plugs, which are becoming the standard in pro audio gear, and still accept 1/4" phone plugs in the center.

The same company makes XLR sockets that accept 2 cond or 3 cond 1/4 phone plugs as well as XLR. These people are thinking!

Next to these, "5 way binding posts", aren't bad. You can get jack plates that have room for both, one Neutrik Speakon socket, and a pair of posts.. which accept plain wire, spades, banana plugs, etc.

Re: cables and interconnects for Two towers [message #48127 is a reply to message #48120] Sun, 06 November 2005 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here are some interconnects you might want to consider.

AR IC's [message #48130 is a reply to message #48127] Mon, 07 November 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Looked at those at Best Buy Saturday. I guess I just need to buy some and see how they sound. I saw the A/V ones that come with the video cable, too. Although I don't know that I need shielding.

DIY IC's? [message #48141 is a reply to message #48120] Wed, 09 November 2005 21:08 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, dang. After really researching about IC's and finding everyone has an opinion (kinda like speakers and tube amps), I'm thinking it may be best to just make up a pair. Handmade Audio has some 20-22Ga silver wire and teflon sleeving for it for pretty cheap. Put some decent RCA's and Techflex on there and like Garman said "$30". And it would go with the whole DIY thing I've got going now anyway. There is also pre-braided silver wire from Homegrown Audio for a little more.

Previous Topic: Request for midhorn plans
Next Topic: Theater 4 info request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 23:45:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout