Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi Towers - WOW
2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48012] Sat, 15 October 2005 22:30 Go to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
Wow, this was my first comment after hearing my 2 Pi Towers come alive after spending many hours building it.

Like many other people before me who wasn't so sure how the speakers would sound after it is all said and done one could not help but have some doubts. I was no different... Now that I have completed building my 2 Pi's I am sure the many hours I spent buiding this DIY speaker project was well worth it. Thanks to Wayne and many other posters on this forum who provided valuable information along the way whether you knew it or not.

Below is my speaker bio:

Budget:
roughly $550 Canadian

Construction:
3/4 MDF, 2 window braces per speaker, plus many wooden L wooden braces at every corner, Mahogany wood veneer, my front baffle is on the short side (13 inches), autobody bondo on every outside corner (to seal exposed MDF and streghten speaker outside corners), rear port: 4-1/2 inches (I missed the fine print in the documentation - perhaps open to 4-5/8 dia next year?)

Listening observation:
This speaker has a huge sound stage, and a forward sound. Compared to my Axion MT60i it is like hearing Diana Krall in front of the stage as opposed to the back of the stage with the MT60i.
The MT60i has more base. Speaking of the base, I was expeding it would sound booming due to its size, but it didn't. Initially, I had the R-13 insulation on the rear baffle, one side, and on top of the two window braces and not on the top side. The speaker had very little base and after listening for several minutes my ears hurt a little. I next installed insulation on the top side of the speaker and noticed there is more base and my ears didn't hurt anymore. Wow..
Question: After reading what others have said about insulation placement is there a big difference with the sound if the insulation is placed on the rear side versus the front side? Furthermore, my rear port is 1/8 too small will it impact my base response in a big way? I am really not looking forward to increasing its diameter if I can avoid it;-)
I am driving the speakers with a Marantz 2252 receiver and can say that there is no need to have a high powered amp with these speakers. As a matter of fact, these speakers feels at home in a large room. I don't think they will do well in an apartment sized room...

Photos: Wayne, I can email you the pictures is you like.

Overall, I can confidently say the 2Pi Towers is comparable to brand named speakers costing at least two times more. Wayne, thanks for the design! I have the whole Winter to listen to them until something else catches my attention

Norbert

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48018 is a reply to message #48012] Sun, 16 October 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Congrats on successful build. I don't know how many hours you've played your speaks yet, but when I built some Studio 2's awhile back, it took a coupla weeks for the Alpha 10 to break in and develop its bass. If they haven't broken in yet, be patient and let 'em work in before you start doing changing too much. Good luck with them.

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48020 is a reply to message #48018] Sun, 16 October 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've just got mine boxed up, not veneered and finished yet, and I've found the same thing. When I first fired them up, the bass was weak at low volumes and I found myself playing with the "loudness" button to get the effect I was looking for. Now after about a week I've been able to just boost the bass control to about 3/4 rotation and leave the loudness off. I figure another couple weeks and I'll be able to leave all the tone controls flat.

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48021 is a reply to message #48018] Sun, 16 October 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Matt.

Here are some pics of my project:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48022 is a reply to message #48021] Sun, 16 October 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice! What veneer did you use? And is that a Marantz I spy?

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48023 is a reply to message #48021] Sun, 16 October 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are really attractive. Congrats!

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48024 is a reply to message #48022] Sun, 16 October 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I used mahogany veneer (raw)... I'll never do that again. Raw veneer is definately not recommended for first timers (like myself)...Looking back , I needed way more wood clamps than the four I have. I'll suggest that you want start from one side you don't mind messing up like the rear. As for staining on mahogany it is not necessay. All I did was to put three coats of satin latex varnish (because I used contact cement for most of my sides)... Yes you are looking at a Marantz 2245 and it is only turned to 1/4 way up.

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48028 is a reply to message #48021] Mon, 17 October 2005 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Norbert; thats a nice set-up. I always liked those Marantz recievers they have a nice smooth sound that seems like it would really compliment the Two Pi's. What a great job and a nice combo; the reciever has a good phono stage too; maybe considor someday putting some vinyl in the picture there.

Re: 2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48036 is a reply to message #48028] Tue, 18 October 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sounds like a plan Manualblock!!!
Cheers.

request for pi2 tower plans [message #48044 is a reply to message #48012] Thu, 20 October 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
trev is currently offline  trev
Chancellor
im really interested in these speaker now, they look great.

Previous Topic: long throw mid
Next Topic: Pi9
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 18:59:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout