Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speaker Insulation
Speaker Insulation [message #47974] Thu, 13 October 2005 20:42 Go to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
I am in the middle of building 2Pi tower speakers and have a question about insulation lining placement. My question is the general consensus on this forum is that one should line only one end of the box in a "live side - dead side" setup. However, when I look at other speaker designs, people tend to line the insulation on all sides of a speaker box. Is there any technical reason for the difference or is this what people have come to accept as a result of experimentation?

Thanks,
Norbert

Re: Speaker Insulation [message #47976 is a reply to message #47974] Fri, 14 October 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You want to reduce MF standing waves without changing other characteristics too much. The amount and location of stuffing is very important in some cabinets, less so in others. It depends largerly on cabinet dimensons and passband wavelengths.

Re: Speaker Insulation [message #47984 is a reply to message #47974] Fri, 14 October 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I just finished up a pair of Two Towers, well not finished-as they need veneered yet. I put insulation on one whole side, the top, and the front baffle up to the bottom of the speaker as the plans recommend. Wayne suggested I also put a piece across each brace (I have 2) that was below the Alpha 10. They sounded great from the get-go and keep getting better sounding to me every day.

Re: Speaker Insulation [message #48029 is a reply to message #47974] Tue, 18 October 2005 10:06 Go to previous message
dwkurfma is currently offline  dwkurfma
Baron
High density fiberglass acoustical tile works nice. Flip it "backwards" so the smooth surface can be glued to the box with a nice thick layer of something like PL200. Helps damp the panels and does an outstanding job of soaking up midrange reflections without taking up a lot of volume and the insulation remains very stable afterward.

Fiberglass duct board would probably be fine too but might be a little harder to bond.

Dan

Previous Topic: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World
Next Topic: pics: pi stage4 not completed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:08:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers