Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bypass capacitor calculation
Bypass capacitor calculation [message #47862] Tue, 04 October 2005 14:53 Go to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Wayne: In many of your crossover designs, and I have seen this in others, the very high SPL of the horn driver is used to advantage. A capacitor bypasses the resistor used to pad the HF horn driver, and is used to lift the high end roll off.

I have done this my self, but it was a trial and error thing, trying different values and listening to what sounded right.

How is the value for a high end bypass capacitor calculated? How do the padding resistors interreact?

Paul C.

Re: Bypass capacitor calculation [message #47866 is a reply to message #47862] Tue, 04 October 2005 16:03 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Model the circuit in Spice. The rising impedance of the tweeter's voice coil and the constant impedance of padding resistors makes a little bit of HF boost without any bypass capacitance. The crossover also interacts with the padding, because it sets the load, which determines filter Q. π crossovers take advantage of this fact by increasing crossover Q just a little so the crossover point is boosted very slightly, to make an initial flat region before HF compensation begins.

Compression drivers are typically flat to 4kHz or so, and then output starts to fall. Radial horns have constant directivity in the horizontal plane, but they have collapsing DI in the vertical plane. So, unlike pure (conical) CD horns, they have some acoustic EQ, but not as much as horns with collapsing DI in both planes. The bypassed padding arrangement is just perfect for these kinds of horns, especially if padding is somewhere between 6-12dB. It provides a complementary curve to the tweeter's response, so response is good on axis and uniform along the horizontal plane.

Previous Topic: Paging Kevin Trancemitr
Next Topic: What speakers would be best for my room?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:10:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio