Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Dayton Speaker Cabinets
Re:Not plywood [message #47785 is a reply to message #47784] Sat, 24 September 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Nope.
Think Bowling Alley.
Horizontal laminations?

Re:Not plywood [message #47786 is a reply to message #47785] Sat, 24 September 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Aaaah, now I gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. What's the best wood for speaker building they have at retail shops like Lowes and Home Depot? Can they get Baltic Birch or MDF?

Re:Not plywood [message #47787 is a reply to message #47786] Sat, 24 September 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Big Boxes have MDF but not Baltic Birch. My Home Depot has 4x8 Birch and Oak Plywood that seems mostly void-free. Baltic Birch has come to mean 5x5 panels with lots of footballs (patches) on one side. There's Finnish Birch and Russian Birch. Finnish Birch was always the quality item w/o any patches or voids. Doesn't seem to be around much anymore.
Best quality ply might be Apple Ply.
Next would be Hardwood plywood with an 'A' side veneer of Walnut or oak or whatever and the 'B' side same of lesser quality or Alder. This is a huge advantage because for another $30 bucks over the $90 to $130 price of the sheet you buy a 250 ft roll of matching iron-on veneer to cover the raw edges. Wipe on a finish and you're done.

Re:Not plywood [message #47788 is a reply to message #47787] Sat, 24 September 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's good info, thanks. I bought several sheets of Baltic Birch recently and it is just as you described, real pretty on one side but footballs everywhere on the other. The sheets have several plies and are very strong and void free. I could tell they are Russian, because each has the letters "ФК" stamped in green ink.

I like MDF because it is so inert, like a rock. But it isn't very strong really, you can chip edges pretty easy and it has very poor water resistance. Soaks up humidity like a sponge and grows like one too. Plywood is stronger, but you have to find good stuff that doesn't have voids. It's not really the voids I'm worried about so much as it is the debris that can be caught inside the void. That and the possibility of two laminates buzzing together.

One other thing is the use of fasteners. If screws are driven into plywood edges, they will separate the plies and make a void. You can get away with this on solid hardwood stock, but not plywood. If a screw must be driven into a plywood sheet on edge, a pilot hole should be drilled first, so that the shank passes easily and only the threads bite into the wood. That will help prevent separating the plies.

Re:Not plywood [message #47789 is a reply to message #47788] Sat, 24 September 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne,
Screws being a problem in plywood is true with wood screws, which from some reason are so conical. I used to drill pilot holes through both pieces of wood, make the top panel hole larger so the screw didn't catch in it (let's it be clamped down much better), countersink that, put in a dowel plug when done.

Now, with the new thin drywall screws, don't really need the pilot hole in the sideways/bottom piece. Much better clamping, too. The best screws now are Spax, made in Germany, not too expensive, designed for wood, but kinda like a drywall screw, have *really sharp* serrated edges on threads, need no pilot holes- just line it up very straight and clamps like a demon.
The ply at Home Depot with the birch or oak outside layer is very good. This new stuff they have, called Sandex or something like that, is not.

Re:Not plywood [message #47790 is a reply to message #47789] Sat, 24 September 2005 21:38 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Previous Topic: New info about the Prosound Shootout
Next Topic: Two π Tower Plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:01:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio