Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Dayton Speaker Cabinets
Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47775 is a reply to message #47771] Fri, 23 September 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paully is currently offline  paully
Esquire
The Studio II speakers are definitely what I am interested in and I appreciate letting me know they are the right thing. The truth of the matter is they really don’t have to be overly incredible (though I am sure they are) for a simple office system to play in the background while my wife and I put together a puzzle and surf the net. They just need to be enjoyable.

Wayne has already offered to send the plans to me. The help on this forum is exceptional, I think I am sold if the plans come through and I can either do them easily myself or find someone here who can do it for me.

Or MDF [message #47776 is a reply to message #47766] Fri, 23 September 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Or, you can bring a cutting diagram to a store and have them cut all twelve panels for you to size from one sheet of 4x8 MDF. Bring the scraps home with you for bracing. The entire sheet of MDF should cost you about $20. Then prime and paint. Kitchen melamine paint works well but requires multiple coats.

You've got mail! [message #47777 is a reply to message #47773] Fri, 23 September 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kits include the speaker drivers, the connector panel, hook up wires, "π" logo decal and a printed copy of the plans. All you'll need is the cabinet and some of your time to put it together.

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47778 is a reply to message #47775] Fri, 23 September 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It isn't economic to ship boxes but if you can get together the parts, send me the front baffle with return postage and I'll cut the holes.

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47779 is a reply to message #47778] Fri, 23 September 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paully is currently offline  paully
Esquire
I would be willing to take you up on that, you are very generous to offer. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do in that regard. I think I read that pine and particle board were recommended, but just to double check what are some good wood options? I have the plans so I will see if I can get them cut this weekend if at all possible.

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47780 is a reply to message #47779] Fri, 23 September 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I recommend MDF or Baltic Birch plywood. You can use whatever veneer or finish you desire.

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47781 is a reply to message #47780] Fri, 23 September 2005 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I think Bill Epstein was suggesting the pine as a quick & simple way to build and minimize the process....good idea, too if that's your goal. If you don't take him up on the baffle offer, I've got tools to cut the holes (but not if it's MDF- I hate the dust.) Also, if you use screws, the newer thin drywall screws are great- thinner, and create more clamping force than wood screws. If you are going to get the wood cut at a store, do a 3-D drawing first to make sure you allow for the board thickness where needed. Wayne's plans are for exterior dimensions. G'luck!

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47782 is a reply to message #47781] Sat, 24 September 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I thought by laminated pine he was talking about plywood.

Re:Not plywood [message #47783 is a reply to message #47782] Sat, 24 September 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Meant for table tops and shelves. Narrow pieces glued up into wider widths, not really laminations as we think of them in plywood. Should limit seasonal movement and they are quite flat and have nice straight edges.
Some 12's, some 18's (widths), 6d finish nails and carpenters glue would be all you need to build boxes.
At my Home Depot or Lowe's the panel saw is off square and they use the tape attached to the frame to size your cut. That leaves you to square the pieces during glue-up and trim the edges that protrude. And that requires a sharp plane or router which defeats the purpose of working w/o buying more tools.

Re:Not plywood [message #47784 is a reply to message #47783] Sat, 24 September 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think I understand. Is it like plywood but with thick laminations?

Previous Topic: New info about the Prosound Shootout
Next Topic: Two π Tower Plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:16:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout