Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Dayton Speaker Cabinets
Dayton Speaker Cabinets [message #47759] Thu, 22 September 2005 11:30 Go to next message
paully is currently offline  paully
Esquire
Hello,

I would have thought a question like this would be in the archives so hopefully this is not a dumb question. Looking at the Studio kit for $80 it looks like a great deal. I was thinking about putting them in a Dayton cabinet from Parts Express and calling it good. Has this been tried and is there a Dayton cabinet of the proper dimensions that will work well enough? This is for an office system and I am only really looking to get some speakers set up for my wife that will be better than her computer speakers for less than $150 and it looks like the Studio kit plus the Dayton cabinets could easily do it if they will work together. Obviously it can’t be as optimal as Pi’s cabinets but it would get me through if feasible. Thanks!

Re: Dayton Speaker Cabinets [message #47761 is a reply to message #47759] Thu, 22 September 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What are the dimensions of the cabinet you're hoping to use?

Re: Dayton Speaker Cabinets [message #47764 is a reply to message #47761] Thu, 22 September 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I am open to using the right cabinet, I just am familiar with the Dayton premade cabinets and they have a variety of sizes. I put a link to the site at parts express with the various cabinets. Would just want to pick one that goes with the kit, and I am not particularly familiar with how to choose though I am going to go try to figure that out. Thanks!

Re: Dayton Speaker Cabinets [message #47765 is a reply to message #47764] Thu, 22 September 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think any of those will work, sorry.

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47766 is a reply to message #47759] Thu, 22 September 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Home Centers all sell laminated pine in 12, 18 and 24 inch widths. You could glue and finish nail the 18" for fronts and backs, 12 inch for sides 18" high for the Studio 2's. No cutting at all except the length which Depot or Lowes will do for you. Then rout or saw the speaker cut-outs and ports and put on some finish.

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47769 is a reply to message #47766] Fri, 23 September 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Are there published plans for the appropriate speaker cabinets with placement of the speaker cutouts, etc…? I don’t see any.

Re: Dayton Speaker Cabinets [message #47770 is a reply to message #47765] Fri, 23 September 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Well that settles that, but thank you for the response. I am following up about a simple cabinet that I can nail together with Home Depot wood above so all is not lost yet! Thanks!

Re: Hey Pauly! [message #47771 is a reply to message #47769] Fri, 23 September 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
On the pi website there are lists with the dimensions- if you're looking for bookshelf you want Studio one's or Two's. Two's have real bass. If they fit what you need, ask Wayne for the plans, he'll send 'em to you. Besides the shelf idea, you may be able to find someone who can build you some basic boxes for the price of those Dayton cabs. The 10" woofer does things the little full-range speakers just can't do....

Re: Dayton Speaker Cabinets [message #47772 is a reply to message #47770] Fri, 23 September 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Let me know what model you're interested in and I'll send the plans. Then you can get the wood at a local lumber yard, have them cut it for you and take it home and glue it together. Don't use nails, you might split the wood. If you use screws, drill pilot holes first to prevent splitting the wood. Make the holes big enough to pass the shank but small enough to allow the threads to bit into wood. In any case, use glue and make sure the cabinet is airtight.

Re: Dayton Speaker Cabinets [message #47773 is a reply to message #47772] Fri, 23 September 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
The studio two kit is the one that I am interested in building. It came highly recommended (for what I need) over on the Bottlehead forum (and those guys I trust). The actual kit comes with a cross over, binding posts, etc. so that the only thing I need is speaker dampening stuffing, speaker wire, and the actual cabinet, correct? Just want to know what I need to come up with. I really appreciate all of the help.

Previous Topic: New info about the Prosound Shootout
Next Topic: Two π Tower Plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:57:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout