Home » Audio » General » I'm baaack!
I'm baaack! [message #4769] Tue, 15 April 2008 23:53 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks to Ron, Pete and Dave, truly great friends, I'm now comfortably domiciled in the Great Smoky Mountains in a liddle house in the woods and back on-line.

My house marks the end of "old Asheville" on my road as you can see by the houses across the way as viewed from my porch. $$$ have come to town in a big way.

No matter where you look, you are surrounded by mountains with names like Pisgah, Chestnut Top, Flat Iron and, of course, Mount Mitchell, tallest peak east of the Rockies.

The 11 1/2X17 front room is proving an acoustic challenge with it's heart pine floors and knotty pine plank paneling; too much treble and not enough bass. Even the ceiling is a negative as it's those old acoustic tiles dropped down to 90". I've been moving around my Owens-Corning panels and rolls of R-13 as well as re-positioning the speakers almost daily. This is the best so far but still not good enough:

I wouldn't have the R-13 by the window but Muse needs a perch and loves the warmth of the plastic! Ultimately, when we have a little warmer weather, I'll build and mount several of the panels on stands and place them to block the window for serious listening.

Meanwhile, I'm just enjoying casual listening to CDs and studying maps of hiking trails. My daughter looks 'swell', (ha!) now in her third trimester which also has me hatching plans to shamelessly spoil my soon to arrive granddaughter. Life is good!

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4770 is a reply to message #4769] Wed, 16 April 2008 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Great to see you settled in. Good luck with the new place Bill.

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4771 is a reply to message #4769] Wed, 16 April 2008 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Bill, it looks great! What a nice place, congratulations, and I know it's nice being closer to your family, too. I'm sure you'll get the room dialed in eventually.

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4772 is a reply to message #4769] Wed, 16 April 2008 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

Glad to see you are unpacked and "back in action" again!

The living room definitely looks different than when I saw it last!

Don't forget your suspended floor is killing your bass response. Time for the sand boxes again, along with a sand bag on top of the speaker cabinet will help some.

Build a carpeted walkway across the front window for Muse!!!

Regards, Ron

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4773 is a reply to message #4769] Wed, 16 April 2008 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mary-jo is currently offline  mary-jo
Esquire
Looks great! Love the view and the stone walk in the front. You've got it great now. You are gonna love being a grandpa. Spoil her rotten, that's what you're supposed to do! I know you will figure out the sound eventually. Just try to leave a little perch for Muse to see out the window and watch the birds. Miss you. Mary-Jo

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4774 is a reply to message #4769] Wed, 16 April 2008 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's awesome, Bill! Beautiful scenery, nice little house! I'm so happy for you!

When you get a second, drop me an E-mail with your phone number and best time to call. I'd like to chit-chat.

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4775 is a reply to message #4770] Wed, 16 April 2008 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good to see you here too, Bill M. I've missed you a lot, and I think everyone else has too.

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4776 is a reply to message #4775] Thu, 17 April 2008 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Well, I've missed you and this place too. I hope everyone has been well and working on great sounding projects. I see your still after the old radio's too.

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4777 is a reply to message #4769] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Brings back memories. I lived up in Beaver Dam Valley north of town back of the fire house from 1978-88. Beautiful place to live as long as you have a really good job or pension.

Bob

Re: I'm baaack! [message #4778 is a reply to message #4776] Thu, 17 April 2008 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't bought any tube radios in a while but I've helped a couple friends fix theirs. I have plenty of tube radios, so I try not to let myself get tempted into buying another.

Any chance you could come to LSAF?

Previous Topic: Pinging Wayne about Sat. nide dinner
Next Topic: Something to do while waiting for a birth
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:58:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers