Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Four Stage
Four Stage [message #47666] Mon, 05 September 2005 12:39 Go to next message
beto1 is currently offline  beto1
Baron
Hi,
can I use the Omega 18" in the four stage configuration? Of course, doing some litlle cabinet size modification. There is some guy who has do it?
Thanks in advance,
Beto

Re: Four Stage [message #47667 is a reply to message #47666] Mon, 05 September 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's a larger cabinet designed for the Omega 18. I'll send plans if you're interested.

Re: Four Stage [message #47668 is a reply to message #47667] Mon, 05 September 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you Wayne.
First, I will like to ask you about specifications for this Stage Four/18" and if this driver has the same behavior than the 15" model in my actual SET amp/3.5 meters throw but with more bass extension.
I have some problems with the Eminece dealers because the Magnum model is out of stock and they only import 25 units minimum (Eminence require), so my options in this moments are JBL 2226, Omega 15 or 18 and KIlomax 15.
Since you advice me that the better match will be the Omega or the JBL, I'm searching all the possible configurations.
One more question: there is some important sonic difference between the tweeter horn in the box, actual bass reflex design and the horn on the top of the box (with the eminence driver/horn fixed with a bracket or with the eminence driver and the wood horn)?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Beto

Re: Four Stage [message #47669 is a reply to message #47668] Mon, 05 September 2005 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I'm listening to the 15" Omega Stage 4 Pi's with 2A3's- not sure you woud need more bass....unless you have very large room and like pipe organ, or something....it wouldn't hurt, though, I guess...

Re: Four Stage [message #47672 is a reply to message #47668] Mon, 05 September 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Omega 18 is designed to be used at a lower frequency range, and it requires a lower crossover point. It can be used in a seven π-18 or in a subwoofer, but not in a four π with 1" compression driver. Alternatively, you can make a four π-18 for use as a bass-bin in a three-way speaker using the π midhorn and tweeter, similar to the seven π-18.

You could also crossover the Omega 18 to a larger format compresson driver, that's something I did for a while. But that generally means you'll have to settle for less top end extension, or you'll have to use a very expensive compression driver like a TAD4001. I've found it is best to go with the midhorn and tweeter setup like I've done in the seven π-18.

Re: Four Stage [message #47673 is a reply to message #47672] Mon, 05 September 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ok.
so as a 3 way system I can use the 18" with the omega 10" in the middle and the PSD2002 tweeter. You have designed this 3 way in one enclosure? or there is an alternative in two enclosures, one for the 18" sub bass, and the other for the mid and tweeter?
Do you think that this 18" driver will need bigger rooms to fill? I guess that everybody wants bass extenssion, depending on the kind of music that one hear. With 40HZ I think, we will cover most kinds, but there is some, like organ, or some electronic music thats need the extra hz. I hear jazz and clasics (conteporary the most), but also have rocker blood in my veins, and like all kind of music.
Also I'm searching for a 3 way bass reflex with the 15" driver, I supose that is a very similar enclosure.
Thank you Wayne for share all this information with us, you are a very cool guy and apreciate too much your dedication.
Regards,
Beto
By the way, can you give the frequency ranga and the sensitivity for the 3 way bass reflex 18" omega's?

Re: Four Stage [message #47674 is a reply to message #47669] Mon, 05 September 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you Matts for your advice. Now I'm looking for all the posibilities before I buy the drivers.
regards,
beto

Re: Four Stage [message #47677 is a reply to message #47673] Mon, 05 September 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've designed several models of three-way systems with different midrange drivers. The Alpha 10, Delta 10 and JBL 2012 are suitable. For the tweeter, use the Eminence PSD2002 or JBL 2426. Woofers you can choose from include the Eminence Delta 12LF, Delta 15, Omega 15, Omega 18, Magnum 15HO, Magnum 18HO, JBL 2226 or 2241. There are other JBL models that will work too, as well as others from other manufacturers. But the ones I've listed above are those I've tested and optimized the crossover for. The woofers don't all use the same cabinet, but there are designs for each of them. Pick your drivers and I'll send you the plans.

Re: Four Stage [message #47679 is a reply to message #47677] Tue, 06 September 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
O.K. Wayne, thanks for your post.
Still I don't know if a 3 way speaker, based on the 18" driver, will works well in my room or if it need a bigger one. Also I will like to know about the sonics difference if the tweeter is in the enclosure or out, on the top.
Thanks in advance,
Beto

Re: Four Stage [message #47683 is a reply to message #47679] Tue, 06 September 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In the three-way speakers, the tweeter is always on top. In the two-way speakers, if you move it to the top, as some have done, you should shift the midwoofer upward in the box to keep the distance between the two the same as if they were in the box.

Previous Topic: midhorns
Next Topic: Holy Massive Tweeter, Batman!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:54:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio