Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's
Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's [message #47656] Sat, 03 September 2005 09:39 Go to next message
Pfenning is currently offline  Pfenning
Chancellor
I'm considering purchasing these based on Wayne's recommendations. I would drive them with a Bottlehead Paramour and listen mainly to rock music. I just wanted to see what some of you have come up with for finishes on your Pi's, and here any comments from current Stage 4 Pi users.

Thanks,
Pfenning

Re: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's [message #47658 is a reply to message #47656] Sat, 03 September 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here are some photos of completed π Speakers:

Re: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's [message #47661 is a reply to message #47656] Sat, 03 September 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've just built a pair of them to use with Paramours. Haven't finished the cabs yet, but they are going to be really nice because I have a friend in antique business who is helping with the finish. Built cabs from plywood, will have 4 or 5 step finish....So far they sound great, very nice. Excellent bass, but doesn't overshadow voice and trebles at all. Still not broken in, but getting smoother every day. I've been playing 'em loud with an Adcom when I'm not home to speed up the process. Will be able to post more of evaluation then.

Re: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's [message #47662 is a reply to message #47658] Sun, 04 September 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
So it looks like James Johnson modified the cabinet shape to allow the ports to be on the bottom and keep the horn centered up. Does this affect the sound? I know baffle size is very important on some speakers. I like the look of the round ports on the bottom and the horn centered, but I don't want to sacrafise performance for looks. If I build them to the plan configuration, should they be built in mirror image? Would that affect the performance? That was a great link, there are very nice speakers built by some real craftsmen!

Thanks,
Pfenning

Re: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's [message #47663 is a reply to message #47661] Sun, 04 September 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
What is the break in time on them? Does sound level matter when breaking in a speaker? Does the type of music matter? Did you stick to the stock layout, or did you change driver and port positions?

Pfenning

Re: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's [message #47664 is a reply to message #47662] Sun, 04 September 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some have changed layouts slightly, and as long as the enclosure doesn't develop standing wave issues and volume and Helmholtz frequency remains the same, I think it should be alright. If a cabinet is made tall and thin, it makes some sense to check it with Martin King's spreadsheet for standing wave influence. And of course you can always measure it to know the results of any modifications.

Re: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's [message #47665 is a reply to message #47663] Sun, 04 September 2005 11:32 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I don't know how long "break-in" time is- still getting smoother by the day. In the begining the cone is stiffer and the whole thing's never moved before. Break-in happens with all speakers, I imagine. I think using wide variety of music is good, louder obviously causes more movement. Tupac rocks... These drivers probably break-in quicker than many due to lightweight cone and large magnet/voice coil structure. I did the stock layout. Nice looking box and dimensions, not a bad size in a room.

Previous Topic: Audiophile Series seven π
Next Topic: midhorns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:13:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout