Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 pi speaker terminal idea
2 pi speaker terminal idea [message #47624] Wed, 31 August 2005 19:28 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've almost got my cabinets put together (have the front panel to put on--yeah, yeah I know probably the wrong way to go about it, but..) and was thinking that it sure would be nice to be able to get into the bottom half of the cabinet to deal with damping and such. I didn't want to make the front or any panel removable anyway, but thought that if I cut a larger square, say 6" x 6", then glued that piece that came out of the back to a slightly larger 1/2" thick piece that would have the normal size square cut out of it for the terminal box, then I could seal and attach it and still be able to get back in easy. This way the original piece out of the back would fill most of the hole and the plate would seal the cabinet. Would this cause any unforeseen problems that anyone would know of. I really want to make these come out right.

Re: 2 pi speaker terminal idea [message #47625 is a reply to message #47624] Wed, 31 August 2005 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
These are the Two towers by the way.

Re: 2 pi speaker terminal idea [message #47628 is a reply to message #47625] Wed, 31 August 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Are you thinking of making an access panel? I'm trying to visualize what you are saying.

To be honest, I would prefer not to have any removable panels if I could help it.

Re: 2 pi speaker terminal idea [message #47629 is a reply to message #47628] Wed, 31 August 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Basically, yes. An access panel. I really don't want any removable panels either, but it seems it could be a pain if you "needed" to do anything in the lower half of the cabinet for some reason or another. The braces would pretty much stop you I think. I was thinking just cut out a 6x6 piece out of the back, glue it to a a 7x7" piece of 1/2", and cut a hole through both for the terminal box. This way the "void" in the actual back panel is nearly filled back up (except for the saw kerf) when you replace the whole piece. Then just seal between the 7x7 piece and the back. I can just see me putting in the damping, glueing the front on, and needing to do something with the damping after the fact. It's just a idea. I'm always looking down the road to future situations.

Re: 2 pi speaker terminal idea [message #47634 is a reply to message #47629] Thu, 01 September 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
Does the driver itself not function as an access panel of sorts?

Re: 2 pi speaker terminal idea [message #47638 is a reply to message #47634] Thu, 01 September 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yes, it does. But I've got really short arms! LOL!

Re: If you must [message #47640 is a reply to message #47638] Thu, 01 September 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Get a 3/8 rabbett bit for your router or a dado set for the table saw and make the entire back an access.
Rout or dado 3/8x3/8 rabbets on both the rear panel and the rear opening so one fits into the other, Then apply a single strand of rope caulk all the way around. Screw it down.
Lots of test cuts on scrap until it's just right.

Re: If you must [message #47644 is a reply to message #47640] Thu, 01 September 2005 17:23 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Good idea, except I got ahead of myself and have glued the back on first while I was still working out the front. Thus the smaller removable panel. I've done what you're talking about on a stereo cabinet I built years ago. It was just an idea. I'm sure I won't need to get in there after the fact.

Previous Topic: 75 watts
Next Topic: Where to get Modular amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:30:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout