Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What recommendation for home theater?
What recommendation for home theater? [message #47491] Tue, 16 August 2005 22:16 Go to next message
bogie7@mindspring.com is currently offline  bogie7@mindspring.com
Esquire
It's a 34x17x7.5 suspended "acoustic" tile ceiling.

Current setup:

Sony DVD/SACD player into
Denon 2803 into Infinity Entra Two (MTM) Center channel (90db)
Hafler DH-500 into Infinity Entra Three (TMM) Fronts (91db)
Hafler DH-500 into Infinity Entra Two (TM) Sides (90db)
Hafler DH-225 into two Infinity Centers (rears, mounted 3" from ceiling - 89db)
Twin Dayton Quatro 15 ported subs - 5.5 cubes, 18.5hz tuning

Seating position is approximately 12' from center (projection screen).

Problem: This bit just doesn't "hit" hard enough. If I throw in a concert DVD, and torque on the big round dial, well, you can pretty much still have a conversation. I also have two more Quatro15 drivers NIB in my closet.

So...

Thinking 4pi Theater series? Or is this not a good idea?

Re: What recommendation for home theater? [message #47492 is a reply to message #47491] Tue, 16 August 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Can you use the corners for left and right channels? If so, I'd run Audiophile Series seven π speakers there. If not, you might consider using a four π bass bin with the π midhorn, tweeter and crossover above that. Other choices are the Pro four π speakers, or maybe the Pro three π speakers with π subs.

In the Theater Series, you could go with the same game plan - Theater six or seven π cornerhorns if possible, or three or four π bass bin with midhorn and tweeter on top. The Theater three π and four π speakers are nice speakers too, and very popular.

Lots of choices, depending on your requirement for position, size and price.

Re: What recommendation for home theater? [message #47493 is a reply to message #47492] Tue, 16 August 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks...

Can't easily use one of the corners (unless I move a door... sigh...). In the interest of having everything sound roughly the same, I'm also going to try to stick with the same speaker all the way around. I can get away with the 4pi theater speaker, I think, hanging the two rear ones above the (to be built) ends of the bar. Of course this may irritate those who wish to slosh through films, but then again, who cares...

Can I get away with changing the dimensions? What I'm considering is shortening a speaker, while making it deeper to maintain the same internal volume/baffle width. I've only got 30" or so to play with for my center channel.

I'm assuming these kits are the drivers and the crossovers, with woodworking plans provided? Or are they crossover components?

Re: What recommendation for home theater? [message #47494 is a reply to message #47493] Tue, 16 August 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In that case, I'd probably suggest the Stage or Pro four π loudspeakers. The Theater Series models are nice, but they are a bit large.

Kits include the speaker drivers, the connector panel, hook up wires, "π" logo decal and a printed copy of the plans. For larger speakers that incorporate a compression tweeter and crossover network, kits also include the crossover, tweeter compensation cable assembly, Zobel woofer damper, and all cable assemblies are completed and ready to install. Every kit containing a compression driver also includes the horn flare and the bolts to mount the driver to the horn.

Re: What recommendation for home theater? [message #47495 is a reply to message #47494] Tue, 16 August 2005 22:50 Go to previous message
Esquire
Actually, the only speaker I'd be concerned about the size with is the center... Since I'm the Bachelor From Hell, the basement is becoming interesting...

Previous Topic: A History of Pi and Trivia Quiz
Next Topic: What if the "live cabinet" Co's. like Audio Note are right?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 13:46:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio