Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Suggestions for Active crossover for Theater 4 pi (long)
Suggestions for Active crossover for Theater 4 pi (long) [message #47423] Wed, 03 August 2005 06:40 Go to next message
Frank Mena is currently offline  Frank Mena
Chancellor
Right now I have my Foreplay II & Paramours (with iron upgrade) with Theater 4 pi's and this system really kick's serious butt. Try as I might, my room dimensions/characteristic's won't let me get that bit of extra bass I would like to fill out the bottom end.

So I was thinking of looking at a two way tube(Marchand?)active crossover in addition to adding an active sub to the system. It would look like >> CD player then Foreplay then Paramours then active crossover then 4 Pi's with one out of the active X-over going to the active sub.

Is this be the correct order? or is it active-x-over then amps then speaker & sub? I would still use the passive theater 4 pi crossover? No? Yes? Any suggestions for an active sub that would blend well with the above system? Parts Express DIY? And FINALLY the last question, does an active crossover increase the depth of image (or 3 D soundscape if you will)?

I have to say that I could easily live with the way the system is right now with no changes, but half of the fun for me is seeing what tweaks I can do to change this and that & see what happens as a result. These speakers are truely awesome.

Thanks all!!

Re: Suggestions for Active crossover for Theater 4 pi (long) [message #47424 is a reply to message #47423] Wed, 03 August 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Frank,

Good to see you completed the Theatre-4 and you're enjoying it. They don't go all the way down to shake your walls, but low enough for most music.

I'm assuming what you want to do is keep the passive crossover in your Theatre-4 and use a 2-way active crossover to integrate a sub. There's a couple of options:

1) Active X0/Biamp. In this option, you'll need a 2-way active crossover with a summing function for the low freq, and a monoblock amp in addition to your Paramours. Sequence will be CDP -> Foreplay -> Active XO. One output from the XO will go to Paramours than Theatre-4. The second output from the XO will go to your new amp than sub.

2) Plate-amp/subwoofer amp. While the first option is technically the "best", it doesn't have to be that complicated nor expensive. A lot of us that received great results from a simple plate amp. All plate amp and subwoofer amps have an active low pass filter built in, so you don't need a separate active crossover. Just build your sub, slap a plate-amp on it and connect it to the output of your Foreplay. You'll have to split the output of your Foreplay so one goes to the plate-amp while the other connects to the Param's.

If you're looking for something a little different in a sub, Bill Fitz has a couple of interesting options on his site.

Gar.

Re: Suggestions for Active crossover for Theater 4 pi (long) [message #47425 is a reply to message #47424] Wed, 03 August 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Mena is currently offline  Frank Mena
Chancellor
Thanks GarMan! Just one last (dumb) question.... with respect to your option one( which I like!!), for the subwoofer, am I correct in assuming it will have a passive crossover as well?

Thanks

Re: Suggestions for Active crossover for Theater 4 pi (long) [message #47426 is a reply to message #47425] Wed, 03 August 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Frank,

If you're using an active XO to divide the signal between your Theatre-4 and sub, there's no need for a passive XO in your sub.

I re-read your original post again and you mentioned "active-sub" a few times. An "active-sub" usually has a plate amp (active low-pass and amp) built in, so you don't want to use one if you're using an external active XO and amp for the sub.

Again, the second option of just using a plate-amp is very respectable and economical. Perhaps Bill Epstein can say a few words about his Titanic and Theatre-4 combo.

Gar.

Re: Suggestions for Active crossover for Theater 4 pi (long) [message #47427 is a reply to message #47426] Wed, 03 August 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
I don't have the particular setup you have, but I built a sub with
one of the plate amps from Parts Express. Its the 250W, no remote
one. Its driven from the HT receiver sub out, so no external XO.
The plate amp does have line level stereo in/out, so you can put
it in the signal path. I don't use it that way so I don't know
if that's better or worse than using a Y connector on your preamp
outputs. The other thing to think about is that if you put the plate
amp in the middle, I have no idea how good (slope, etc.) the return
feed is or if the XO freq tracks the knob or not. I'd go for an
external XO and the plate amp.
I like to brag: http://cerchaos.homeip.net:1280/woodworking5.html

Chris

Re: Suggestions for Active crossover for Theater 4 pi (long) [message #47428 is a reply to message #47427] Wed, 03 August 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Chris, if I had a sub as nice as yours, I'd brag too.

I'd only use the high-pass filter in a plate amp as a last resort. I think it's much better to use the natural rolloff of the main speakers and adjust the low-pass freq on the plate amp accordingly to integrate. My Theatre-3's go pretty low by themselves and I'd assume the 4's go even lower. You'd have to bring the low-pass freq on the plate amp down to the 40Hz range for good integration.

Gar.

Re: It's not braggin' if you put dinner on the table [message #47429 is a reply to message #47427] Wed, 03 August 2005 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Nice! Fine Woodworking Nice!
I can't believe people want more bass output than the Theatre 4's have. It's all a function of what you listen to.
My Delta's are long gone and I have tried several schemes for mating a sub to the 2226's. 4648 with plate amp and titanic 12 with plate amp. 4648 is best but still too heavy to integrate with music. And doesn't really go deep. The Titanic goes waaaay deep; when the ship lands at the beginning of Attack of the Clones (terrible movie) and the explosions according to a website are 17 Hz, the Titanic just yawns and moves the entire building.
My Theatre 4's had Delta Pros which don't go as low as regular Deltas and still had more output at 40 Hz than classical/jazz/Rolling Stones needed.
To each his own.

Re: stupid sub [message #47432 is a reply to message #47429] Thu, 04 August 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I absolutely agree that there's no need for a sub with the 4Pi if you're playing music, but for stupid (ie movie soundtracks and when the kids play their "music") it's pretty valuable. I only fire up mine for stupid.

Re: stupid sub [message #47434 is a reply to message #47432] Fri, 05 August 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Yeah, the bedroom system hardly gets used for music. Its really only
for watching movies, and for that, its pretty nice. It was one of
those "I have to have a setup like that, but I want to make my own"
kind of things. You can't believe the money I "saved" doing it
this way! NOT! Esp. when you include the cost of the tools.

Chris

Stupi is as stupid does [message #47443 is a reply to message #47432] Sat, 06 August 2005 15:18 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Spkrman57's bringing two Eminance 15's and a 9 cubic foot cab for me to use as a sub with my A7s. Does this count as stupid? .....Colin

Previous Topic: 12 π basshorn - just about ready for prime time
Next Topic: Pi 4 Theater with Coral H30 Horn Tweeter 3-20kHz 94dB/W-m
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:58:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout