Home » Audio » General » Polyphemus is on the loose
Polyphemus is on the loose [message #4740] Sun, 16 March 2008 12:44 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Cyclops ping [message #4741 is a reply to message #4740] Sun, 16 March 2008 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Bill, That has to be one of the best reviews ever!!! I'm still laughing. Constantine will get some letters on this one.....C

Re: Polyphemus is on the loose [message #4742 is a reply to message #4740] Tue, 18 March 2008 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great review, Bill! Thanks for pointing it out.

I've been dragging my feet on buying a phono stage for a long time, so I'm interested. I have built-in phono stages in a couple of my preamps, so I'm not stuck, but I do want a nice stand-alone phono stage. Is this available only as a finished unit, or can you buy it as a kit? Maybe just the PCB and parts? If only available as a finished product, does it come in different cabinet options?

Re: Polyphemus is on the loose [message #4743 is a reply to message #4742] Tue, 18 March 2008 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just the finished product as you see it. Set it and forget it!

For a kit, there's no substitute for the Hagerman Cornet2, $$$ or sound. Plus it's fun to fool with. $99 for the board and another $250 and up for the parts. I've built it in a wooden box and also a Hammond 10x17x3 which accomodates step-up transformers.

As you well know, different 47k input resistors, coupling and output caps, and tube rolling make the Cornet a lot of fun. Even changing the rectifier makes a difference.

Talk to Steve Brown, too, he loves the circuit he built based on, I think, an Allen Wright design.

Re: Polyphemus is on the loose [message #4744 is a reply to message #4743] Tue, 18 March 2008 17:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right about Steve's circuit. He mentioned it earlier, and I'm interested. I'll also look again at the Hagerman.

Previous Topic: Lone Star Audiofest - Exhibitors and Activities
Next Topic: Philco Stereophonic Hi-Fi PhonoRama VI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 09:39:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout