Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi tower baffles
Re: Well, the BB I bought was very dense... [message #47387 is a reply to message #47386] Sun, 24 July 2005 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you'd like, your original username can be deleted so you can reuse it. Then you'd just have to register the name again.

Found a place to get wood! [message #47393 is a reply to message #47387] Mon, 25 July 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Get this, right behind where I work! They are a hardwood supplier for individual or contractor. The only BB they have is 1/2", but they do have oak veneered 3/4" MDF which would save me from messing up a veneer job. Never done it, wouldn't know which kind to get, etc.......

Re: If your doing something kinda fancy... [message #47396 is a reply to message #47383] Mon, 25 July 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Shane,

Don't let the higher cost of BB over MDF scare you. If you get some BB that's nicely surfaced (no footballs) and work carefully with it, there's no need for veneer. I figure you'll need at least 30 sq ft of veneer plus 20% waste to cover the Towers and that can cost you about $100. Sometimes, it's worth paying extra for the BB to avoid the cost of veneer. You'll just have to think of a creative way to work with the edging, either hiding it or incorporating it into your design. Also, I find the birch can do a passable imitation of cherry if finished properly.

Re: If your doing something kinda fancy... [message #47398 is a reply to message #47396] Mon, 25 July 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What would you recommend for finishing BB? I'm not worried about the cost, just not having ever veneered I can see myself messing it up. I've done furniture with hardwood before, but not messed much with MDF and never with veneer.

Re: If your doing something kinda fancy... [message #47399 is a reply to message #47396] Mon, 25 July 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Also, I can't seem to find any 3/4" BB here, just 1/2".

Re: If your doing something kinda fancy... [message #47400 is a reply to message #47398] Mon, 25 July 2005 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've used an oil finish on it- the "Tried & True" linseed oil with varnish added, or there's one with beeswax. They look very good- have aged to a very nice golden/lt. brown color. Whatever you do, sand them with a few progessively finer grades of sandpaper first, then finish. birch can look "smeary" with many stains, so you have to be careful with that. Some of the dyes can look good. Best thing to do is save your scraps and use them for testing whatever you want to try (and let it dry well) before you actually do the speakers.

Finishing BB [message #47401 is a reply to message #47400] Tue, 26 July 2005 09:10 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
To add more detail to what Matt said, BB is nothing more than layers of birch veneer sandwiched together to form the plywood. In 19mm BB, you have 13 plys. The surface you end up with is no different than birch veneer. The option to finish it is endless and there's a lot of good suggestions in the Craftsman forum. Epstein has a few good posts about his oils.

Don't sand it down until all the construction is complete. You don't want get your surface smooth only to have it pick up new scratches when you're making that one last cut. I find birch pretty porous so I like to sand it down to 220 grit. I start with 150 Aluminum Oxide, to 220 Aluminum Oxide, and then 220 garnet.

I find BB looks very nice with just an oil wipe-on finish. Tung oil will tone it gold and make the grain pattern pop. Do a search in Craftsman for oil and there lots of info.

Colouring BB can be a bit tricky because it has a tendency to blotch. Sanding it down with 220 garnet helps a bit with even coating as it burnishes the grains. If using oil/gel stain, a coat of conditioner first will help with blotching. Again, Epstein had a post in Craftsman on how to make your own conditioner (or you can just buy it off the rack).

This year, I discovered and fell in love with water-based aniline dye. The colour is deeper, richer and more transparent. Unfortunately you have to go through the extra steps of grain-raising, but for me, I think its worth the effort. To keep this dye from blotching, I first spray the surface lightly with water and wait one minute for it to absorb before applying the dye.

Gar.

Previous Topic: Reflex volume of 4PI Pro - about 2.5 ft^3 ?
Next Topic: Plans For 1 PI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:11:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout