Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » LT250 Horn Flare?
LT250 Horn Flare? [message #47369] Fri, 22 July 2005 20:07 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne,

Can you tell me anything about the Eminence LT250 horn? I understand you've used this in the past in designs where space was tight.

I've been trying to come up with a design for a center channel to match my Theatre-3's and can't find a way to do it with the H290/295. The speaker has to be under 18" and the horn over driver arrangement does not fit.

I'm thinking a horizontal MTM arrangement, with a 12LF on either side of a LT250. Do you think the 60 degree horizontal dispersion is too narrow? Will sensitivity for the PSD2002 increase with this horn vs. the H295 due to the more confined dispersion?

thanks,
Gar.

Re: LT250 Horn Flare? [message #47370 is a reply to message #47369] Sat, 23 July 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Personally, I don't like narrow dispersion horns for home hifi. It just doesn't sound as natural as sound coming from a wider flare does, especially 90º horns coming from the room's corner. But the LT250 is a pretty good horn and doesn't sound colored when used with appropriate compensation, so if space is tight, that will work pretty well for you. I just prefer a 90º horn.

Horizontal Symmetry [message #47395 is a reply to message #47370] Mon, 25 July 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne, another option I have to keep the speaker small is to do away with the second woofer and just have woofer and horn side-by-side on the baffle. However, almost all center channel speakers I've seen have symmetry along the horizontal (or symmetry reflected on the vertical, but you know what I mean).

Is this MTM symmetrical arrangment an absolute neccessity for horizontally placed speakers, or is it a way for manufacturers to justify a higher price due to the second woofer?

Gar.

Re: Horizontal Symmetry [message #47397 is a reply to message #47395] Mon, 25 July 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's hard to say. I suspect if the crossover is low enough, it won't matter.

SST1 [message #47402 is a reply to message #47397] Tue, 26 July 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Did some reading last night and found the rule of thumb of keeping drivers under one wavelength apart of the crossover frequency. Crossing over at 1600Hz means I need to keep the drivers under 8" apart.

I also found that a horizontal placement of woofer and tweeter may not be a bad as I originally thought. I was surprised to see in Loudspeaker Cookbook that a W/T placement performs better horizontally off axis than a W-T-W placement. It seems that the extra woofer in the W-T-W creates even deeper nulls at the crossover region off axis than a simple W-T.

My new question is, what's the difference between Eminence H295 and the SST1. According to spec, they both have the same cutoff and dispersion pattern. Yet, they're different in shape. I used the H295 in my Theatre-3's and would like to keep a CD horn for centre channel. The SST1 is several inches more narrow than the H295 and would allow to to place the two drivers closer.

thanks,
Gar.

Re: SST1 [message #47405 is a reply to message #47402] Tue, 26 July 2005 13:47 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've not used the H295, but my guess is it would be similar to the SST1, maybe retaining directional control a bit lower on the bottom end.

Previous Topic: Plans For 1 PI
Next Topic: Active xover's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:21:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout