Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 8 Pi's
8 Pi's [message #47313] Fri, 15 July 2005 16:03 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I need to hear these. Anyone around the East Coast that is involved with these? Wayne; any thing brewing with the 8's? Maybe an upgrade to the mid-woofer; say a JBL 10"? I have a yen to try them. It has been two yrs since the last speaker build.

Re: 8 Pi's [message #47314 is a reply to message #47313] Fri, 15 July 2005 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm sorry to say there are no JBL drivers with specs similar to the Alpha 10. I've considered having Eminence make a driver with a shorting ring and similar electro-mechanical specs. But I've got a lot of other projects going, so it's not something that would happen anytime soon. And really, the Alpha 10 is a very nice sounding little speaker as it is.

Re: 8 Pi's [message #47315 is a reply to message #47314] Fri, 15 July 2005 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Don't mean to disparage the Alpha; I just want to know there are possible upgrades and also want to hear a pair if possible; not that I don't have emplicit faith in your designs as you well know, but I feel this speaker must have a unique sound and how that would be used is what I would like to consider. It is very different from the standard model Pi. I have a feeling it is the solution to the need for smaller box but big wide open sound.

Re: 8 Pi's [message #47316 is a reply to message #47315] Sat, 16 July 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your confidence. What I was trying to say is that there is no suitable replacement that I know of, at least, not one that is an improvement. There may be a driver somewhere that would work, but none others that I've looked at would work in this cabinet.

Re: 8 Pi's [message #47323 is a reply to message #47316] Mon, 18 July 2005 10:38 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
When I built my 8 PI mock up from my 2 PI Towers, I was very please with the sound. I didn't hear a lot of areas where the Alpha-10s didn't deliver. In its use in the PI Towers, I think the Alpha-10s can use a bit more power handling and be a bit smoother above 2K, but in the 8 PI config, those two areas became irrelevant. The horn reduces power requirements for the driver, and its crossed at 1.6K to the tweeter. The only area where I thought could use some improvement is the bottom-end. Not that the bottom end was bad. It's just that the mid and highs were so good that I felt the bass was left behind.

One obvious improvement would be to use a dedicated woofer, but then, you're looking at Wayne's 7-PI's, so why not just build that instead.

How about the idea of two Alpha 10's in each cab in a 2 1/2-way design. The second Alpha would be used as a direct radiator and only comes in below 250Hz. With two drivers in the same cab, bass would not be as deep, but sensitivity in the bass region would improve by 6dB and you wouldn't need to pad down the mid and highs so much. You can even point the second woofer into the corner and ... wait a minute... we're back to the 7-PI concept again, aren't we? Looks like Wayne's thought this out already.

Gar.

Previous Topic: 2206 Box port placement
Next Topic: 2.1? 5.1? whats the diff??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 19:50:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers