Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » possibly silly question
possibly silly question [message #47294] Wed, 13 July 2005 08:17 Go to next message
Doug Asherman is currently offline  Doug Asherman
Esquire
Hi all:

I've been reading the forum for a few months now, and have certainly picked up on the raves.

But there's a question that remains unanswered to my mind: what do Pi speakers sound like? I currently have a pair of Joseph RM7si's, and they have a mellow kind of sound that I like; but they're almost reserved.

I'm considering a pair of Pi2 speakers. The most I've read is "you won't be disappointed". But again, nothing about the sound...

Doug

Re: possibly silly question [message #47295 is a reply to message #47294] Wed, 13 July 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's sooooo hard trying to describe a sound. Kind of like describing beauty, you can wax poetically but you just can't put the image in the mind of the reader. It's like describing the color blue.

Is there any way you can audition a pair? Where do you live? Maybe someone with a pair of two π speakers lives nearby.

Re: possibly silly question [message #47296 is a reply to message #47294] Wed, 13 July 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Doug,

Never heard a set of Joseph's before. Are they similar in sound to a pair of Totem bookshelves?

gar.

Re: possibly silly question [message #47300 is a reply to message #47296] Thu, 14 July 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I've only heard Totem bookshelves in a store. They seemed to me to have a bit more treble than the Josephs. But of course it could've been the source/amp combination, too.

Re: possibly silly question [message #47301 is a reply to message #47295] Thu, 14 July 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I'm in Oakland, right across the bay from San Francisco.

I agree; it's hard trying to describe a sound. But you can always fall back on audiophile cliches: "Resolving", "Accurate". Stuff like that.

Ok, maybe not. Whenever someone has described a speaker or component as "resolving", that seems to mean "You know those old rock records you have? Well, give up listening to them..."

Doug

Re: possibly silly question [message #47303 is a reply to message #47301] Thu, 14 July 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Whenever someone has described a speaker or component as "resolving", that seems to mean "You know those old rock records you have? Well, give up listening to them..."

Let me give this a shot... [message #47307 is a reply to message #47300] Thu, 14 July 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Let me give this a shot. But before I start, I don’t think it’s really fair to compare the Studio 2’s with a pair of Joseph or Totems. Your Josephs retail in the $1500 to $1700 mark while a pair of Studio 2’s can be built for $200 for kit and material, or about $700 for a custom made pair.

For me, I find speakers like Totems to be very competent, to the point of almost being boring. Don’t get me wrong. They do almost everything a speaker is supposed to do very well, and they are technically very good speakers. But they don’t have any personality. For a lot of people, that’s exactly how speakers should be. Wallflowers that stand aside, let the music through but don’t be aggressive about it. You can pay attention to the music if you want, but if you don’t, that’s okay too.

Personally, I prefer speakers with a bit of personality. Ones that push the music up front, grabs you by the collar and pulls you in. “This ain’t no background music. For the length of this disk, your ass is mine so don’t you dare ignore me.”

I see the Studios falling more into the second group than the first. It has what it takes to create an interactive and intimate session where the listener can dive in and explore the music. It’s not a perfect speaker, but what it does well more than makes up for its shortcomings.

In terms of sound, it has an upfront presentation. Nothing like the typical British sound where it’s warm and laidback. Detailed to the point where very bad recordings will sound bad. It has dynamics that you’ll never get with any audiophile bookshelves and they can play loud with ease. Can’t speak for the regular Studio 2’s but the Towers are pretty impressive with the bass. Not top quality bass when compared to say, a JBL 18” in 10 ft^3, but certainly deep enough to make you realize there’s a whole layer of music you’ve been missing with regular bookshelves. Can’t speak for the HF as I’ve never tried the Studios with the new tweeter.

Dynamic range, SPL and bass extension. These things are not only for immature head-bangers. Even for simple jazz trio music, they do more to create an accurate presentation than ruler flat frequency response.

When compared to your Josephs, the Studio may seem “unrefined”. Compared to a set of Totem-like bookshelves, the Studios are not as smooth and a bit “honky”. But remember, these Studios are only the starting point in Pi Speakers’ line up and “refinement” can be bought as you move up through the Theater, Stage and Premium line. The set of Premium 4’s I’ve heard sounds every bit as smooth as audiophile bookshelves. Coincidently, the Premium 4’s are about the same price range of your Josephs and if we were to compare the two, I’m willing to bet it does everything your Josephs do but with better SPL and dynamics.

Gar.

Re: Let me give this a shot... [message #47319 is a reply to message #47307] Sun, 17 July 2005 09:57 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Garman is right on; I may have a tid-bit to offer. The Joseph line stems from the old JSE infinite slope xover designs. I owned a pair of the JSE Model 1's yrs ago. I believe they have a similar sound. Short and simple; the 7's will image like crazy and resolve detail but the Pi 2's for 1/10th the price will compete in terms of musicality, the ability to appear as real music in the room.
You need to look at the pro 3 Pi's to be a fair comparison.

Previous Topic: Wayne, Does the TAD TD-4001 need top octave compensation?
Next Topic: Wayne, would you please send me the 4Pi Pro plan?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 23:19:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio