Home » Audio » General » 1944 Philco Radio
Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4713 is a reply to message #4710] Thu, 14 February 2008 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No big deal. I was just sayin'

The folks at Audio Karma are pretty cool. Lots of overlap between groups. Can't believe they set their AKfest this year for the same weekend as LSAF though. We've scheduled the first weekend in May since 2005. What an oversight!

Hey - What Zenith radio do you have? I have a couple TransOceanics. I love them!

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4714 is a reply to message #4713] Thu, 14 February 2008 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's a Zenith K731. Pretty common late model radio. I still have yet to refurbish the electronics though. It looks good except for the cane grill on the front which is glued on crooked from the factory and the tuning indicator wants to go crooked when dialing in a station. Here's some pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/shaneybob/Frontwebsize.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/shaneybob/Chassistopwebsize.jpg

I also have a a huge GE L-916 that was my stepmom's father's. The whole thing needs restored from the ground up. Most of the veneer is good, but there are some chips that would be impossible to fix and it's missing a knob. I have no idea how old it is, but it has two MC and a KC band on it which means nothing to me as I know squat about radios. The MC channels have London, Havana, etc....aircraft, police, military.....

Oh, by the way, nice radios!!!

My parents also have a huge old Crosley that has dials and such as yours, but up top of the cabinet as it's a big floorstander.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4715 is a reply to message #4714] Thu, 14 February 2008 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very cool, Shane. The "KC" on the dial means KiloCycles, same as KiloHertz. Tune in 710 on that puppy at midnight and you'll be listeing to the Art Bell show on KGNC. Similarly, "MC" means MegaCycles, which means you can tune in the shortwave band. I think old tube radios that tune shortwave are especially cool. And some of them are incredibly sensitive, surprisingly so. My TransOceanics pull in everything and rival the best modern receivers in sensitivity, selectivity and even stability. You'd expect the old radios would drift more than the new ones, and some old radios do. But the best ones are surprising how well they do.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4721 is a reply to message #4707] Tue, 19 February 2008 09:10 Go to previous message
Trell7369 is currently offline  Trell7369
Esquire
Thanks Wayne for coming to look at the radio.

Previous Topic: Welcome to SoundStage! Magazine
Next Topic: System Grounding Tweak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:18:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout