Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 3 Theater Question
Pi 3 Theater Question [message #47111] Tue, 14 June 2005 05:17 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm starting construction of a pair of Pi 3 Theater speakers and was wondering if it would be feasible to convert them to three-ways at a later date by modifying the crossover and adding the midhorn. If I build them with this upgrade in mind I will place the tweeter on top of the woofer enclosure instead of placing it internally.

Two questions: 1) Is it feasible to convert the Pi 3 Theater ported enclosure to a three way?, and 2) Is it ok to place the woofer higher in the enclosure instead of at the near-center position in the cabinet plans so it will have the same proximity to the top-mounted tweeter?

Re: Pi 3 Theater Question [message #47112 is a reply to message #47111] Tue, 14 June 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a good plan, Fred. What you might consider is mounting the tweeter externally, in a little box. Then you can position the woofer higher in the cabinet. Later, you can add the midhorn and change the crossover accordingly.

Re: Pi 3 Theater Question [message #47118 is a reply to message #47111] Tue, 14 June 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Fred, I think that putting the tweeter on top will put it closer to ear-level in a sitting position, and it can be a good thing.

Have you consider building the Theater-3 for conversion into a Theater-6 at a later time? I think cabinet volume for the woofer is the same.

Gar

Re: Pi 3 Theater Question [message #47121 is a reply to message #47118] Wed, 15 June 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When I sent Fred plans for Theater three π speakers, I also sent plans for the Theater six π model. So I think his consideration of an option for a future upgrade, that's what he had in mind.

Upgradability of PI [message #47122 is a reply to message #47121] Wed, 15 June 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne,

For me, one of the appeals of your designs is its upgradability, and its too bad there hasn't been much discussions on it. The 3PI to 6PI conversion is a good example. Build a "base" system that performs well as it, but allows you to upgrade for higher performance as needs and funding allows.

I had a wonderful experience with the morphing of my original 2PI Towers. Built it on spec at first, then upgraded it to a "Thermionic 2PI". If I had the foresight from the start, I could have built the cabinet to allow conversion to a set of Theater3, which then would have allowed me to upgrade to Theater6.

I think this ability for a user to grow with their system can be very appealling. Wayne, any thoughts on putting together an upgrade path for PI systems?

gar.

Three Pi to Six Pi Upgrade [message #47125 is a reply to message #47121] Wed, 15 June 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was thinking of upgrading to a three-way using the bass reflex woofer enclosure because there's a shortage of corners in my house and I can't take advantage of a corner horn. This might require padding the midrange, but I would still get the benefit of the midrange and woofer operating within more appropriate frequency bands. But first things first - I cut out the panels for the woofer enclosures yesterday. The heat index outside is over 100 today, so I'll wait till tomorrow morning to cut the driver and port holes. I plan to install the tweeters in separate boxes that will sit on top of the woofer cabinets.

On a different topic, I'm exposing my ignorance here, but I was wondering what's the rationale for using a relatively small port that appears to be tuned to a very low frequency. I would have expected two 3" ports or a single 4" in a br enclosure with a 12" driver. Is this a result of trial and error, or do the Pi enclosures use an alignment other than the standard bass reflex?

Re: Three Pi to Six Pi Upgrade [message #47126 is a reply to message #47125] Wed, 15 June 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Hi Fred,

If you have a lot of space and no corners, the Delta 15 is available in a 16ohm versions. Use 2 per side and you might not have to pad!

Dave

Re: Three Pi to Six Pi Upgrade [message #47128 is a reply to message #47125] Wed, 15 June 2005 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Theater three π cabinet is a Helmholtz resonator, just like any other bass-reflex cabinet. The alignment is specified by PiAlign, and the values it specifies are not unlike other common alignments.

The Delta 12LF is best used in cabinets from 2.0ft3 to 6.0ft3, tuned between 30Hz and 40Hz. EBS cabinets can be a little larger, tuned lower for the bass shelf. But in general, there are a continuum of good alignments in this range.

A PiAlign'ed Delta 12LF has a slightly overdamped response, with useable response down to 30Hz. Like the PiAlign'ed Delta 15, this gives bass with gradual rolloff slope and slightly rising response. That makes them perfect for use in corners or as floorstanders against the wall, where room gain might make some speakers tend to sound boomy.

Re: Three Pi to Six Pi Upgrade [message #47132 is a reply to message #47126] Wed, 15 June 2005 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I already have the Delta 12LF's.

Done! [message #47148 is a reply to message #47111] Sat, 18 June 2005 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, almost. The woofer enclosures are competed and the tweeters are sitting on top. Still need to build the tweeter boxes and veneer everything. Bill Epstein will be glad to know I used 16 ga Royal Cable throughout. These things sound amazingly good with no break in time whatsoever!

Previous Topic: Wayne, can you e-mail me the plans for Studio 2 Pi towers & Stage Pi 4 ?
Next Topic: Pi to One Million Places
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:09:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout