Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone build Studio Ones in a wedge shape?
Anyone build Studio Ones in a wedge shape? [message #47105] Mon, 13 June 2005 14:03 Go to next message
Martin G is currently offline  Martin G
Esquire
I've got a pair of Studio One kits that have been sitting on the shelf for years. I just haven't gotten around to building them. But... I just got a new AM/FM/CD deck for my '68 VW Squareback. There's really no great places to mount speakers in the Squareback. I thought I could build the Studio One's in a wedge shape like a stage monitor and put them in the back cargo area. Anyone else done this? Got any useful measurements that I could use?

Re: Anyone build Studio Ones in a wedge shape? [message #47107 is a reply to message #47105] Mon, 13 June 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could just build them as indicated in the plans, and lay them in the back. I've done mine that way before, and they sound great. Put some velcro on them; It will attach to the upholstery and help prevent the speakers from sliding.

Re: Anyone build Studio Ones in a wedge shape? [message #47113 is a reply to message #47107] Tue, 14 June 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin G is currently offline  Martin G
Esquire
I looked through the archives and saw that you used to use them that way in your 928. I was just concerned that I might be losing some sound quality since they'd be pointing toward the roof. It is parallel to the cargo area not sloped like the glass in your 928.

Re: Anyone build Studio Ones in a wedge shape? [message #47114 is a reply to message #47113] Tue, 14 June 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's true. But if you make them wedge shaped, the woofer will be a wavelength or wave and a half closer to you than the tweeter in the crossover region. Not a big deal in the car, because there are so many reflective surfaces that the interference patterns become very dense and complex anyway. But if you take them out to use them for something else, you might not like the way they sound. Maybe lay them on their sides in the car so they face you instead?

Re: Anyone build Studio Ones in a wedge shape? [message #47119 is a reply to message #47114] Tue, 14 June 2005 11:15 Go to previous message
MartinG is currently offline  MartinG
Chancellor
That's a good point. They probably won't stay in the car forever. Laying on their sides they'd be facing the back of the back seat. I think I'll build them stock and try adding removable supports to tilt them forward.

Previous Topic: thanks wayne
Next Topic: Horn flare shape response question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 08:47:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout