Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How do you lift your PI?
How do you lift your PI? [message #47074] Mon, 06 June 2005 15:07 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For the Stage, Premium, and Pro 4 PI's, they're strange in size in that they're too small to simply place them on the floor, but too large for most speaker stands or shelving.

Where are people placing these PI's so that you don't have to sit on the floor to listen to them? Anyone simply tipping them up?

Re: How do you lift your PI? [message #47075 is a reply to message #47074] Mon, 06 June 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here are two placements that work very well:

1. On stands, a foot or so off the ground. Back against the rear wall, eight feet or more from side walls. Point them straight into the room.

2. Within two feet from corners, two to three feet from the ground or ceiling. Angle them in towards the center of the room.

Re: How do you lift your PI? [message #47084 is a reply to message #47074] Tue, 07 June 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't run pi's but 3 options:

1)2 milk crates under each speaker.

2)Build some stands for them.

3)Build some sub-woofer cabinets and set them on top of those.

Re: How do you lift your PI? [message #47085 is a reply to message #47074] Tue, 07 June 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
In my room, I actually got the soundstage from a pair of Studio 2 Pi's to lift up considerably just by tipping them back about an inch and a half in the front. Still not ideal but the bass is enhanced with the low placement. My Theater 4's sound best tipped back some as well but the height of the image remains the same either way.
I'd try making simple four-sided risers from as heavy a plywood as you can find; maybe 2 layers of 3/4"BB. Cinderblocks may be a cheap way to experiment with height; Home Despot sells various sizes.

G.

Re: How do you lift your PI? [message #47087 is a reply to message #47085] Tue, 07 June 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like Theater four π's best floorstanding in corners, pointed inward towards the room. Their best placement is a little bit different than Stage four π's.

With a F&^$% Handtruck! [message #47094 is a reply to message #47074] Wed, 08 June 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Couldn't resist. Lifting my Pi 4s and moving them from the garage to their permanent resting place was a royal pain in the rear.

Re: How do you lift your PI? [message #47095 is a reply to message #47084] Thu, 09 June 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Considering that even the smaller 4PIs can easily reach 40lb a piece, cinder blocks seems to be a good option.

Re: With a F&^$% Handtruck! [message #47096 is a reply to message #47094] Thu, 09 June 2005 07:16 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I know what that's like. I was doing some work on my cabinets a couple of weeks ago (5ft^3, 3/4 MDF all around, double front baffle, bracing, etc.) and it's getting to the point where I can't lift it off the ground by myself anymore, let along moving it. And it's only going to get heavier as I add more to it.

Previous Topic: Studio Two tweak - Wow!
Next Topic: Speaker Suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 12:00:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout