Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Will bi-amping work like this?
Will bi-amping work like this? [message #47047] Sat, 04 June 2005 02:39 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have my Bugle phono stage connected to a switch that allows me to choose it or line from the CD player. Outputs go on to the amplifier.
My speaker crossovers have separate inputs for woofer and tweeter.
According to Conrad Johnson re: their PV-10 pre-amp
"For a second output, a Y-adapter is perfectly okay, and is electrically the same as a second output would be in any case. Although, instead of the Radio Shack-variety Y-adapter, we would suggest a one piece metal fitting made by Sound Connections International, brand name Vampire Wire, email address::"

Is this also true of a passive system like mine? Can I use a "Y" adapter on each output channel to drive both amps, one for the woofer and one for the tweeter?

Re: Probably will... [message #47049 is a reply to message #47047] Sat, 04 June 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
When you hook up a simple y-cord like this, the input impedances of the amps are a voltage divider. As long as they are relatively equal, it shouldn't be a problem. Many bi-amp systems have the Xover at this point (rather than in the speakers), so the load on each amp is lessened to only the frequencies amplified by that unit so each can do a better job in theory.

Re: Will bi-amping work like this? [message #47051 is a reply to message #47047] Sat, 04 June 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Were you able to find the part? I searched all over that site and couldn't locate by search or otherwise, the spoken of y adapters.

Thanks,
Russellc

Re: Will bi-amping work like this? [message #47058 is a reply to message #47047] Sat, 04 June 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What amps are you going to, and what kind of crossover do you plan to use?

another 2 cents [message #47061 is a reply to message #47049] Sat, 04 June 2005 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
According to Rane it's perfectly acceptable to split an output with a Y connector (as opposed to combining an input).

You can get lots of arguements that it's no biamping if you use the high-level passive crossovers, but that's another matter.

Go to Sweetwater.com to fine a suitable Y connector- they stock every Hosa wire made.

Re: Will bi-amping work like this? [message #47063 is a reply to message #47058] Sat, 04 June 2005 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, pretty soon I'll have the 300B and 45 amps. The 300B is stereo and the 45 monoblocks.
Of course I have your Pi 1.6K crossover with separate inputs and outputs for woof and tweet.

With the bananas and the parallel resistor I can switch on the fly from music amp to HT Receiver and from 806A/811B to 902B/MartinelliHorn.

Re: Will bi-amping work like this? [message #47064 is a reply to message #47047] Sat, 04 June 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bill, if you're using two different amps, they most likely will have different gain. You'll need a way to adjust the input levels for each amp so the hi and low will match again. A simple pot in place of the input resistor will do.

If your HF passive XO has a straight-forward L-pad for attenuation (no HF compensation network), then take it out and attenuation at the HF amp's input. No sense dumping power into the tweeter only to be eaten up by the L-Pad.

gar.

Re: Will bi-amping work like this? [message #47065 is a reply to message #47063] Sun, 05 June 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might try the 6DJ8 Tube Crossover based on Steve Bench's circuit. Gary Kaufmann has made a circuit board available that is inexpensive and has room for customization.

Volt Second's take: [message #47086 is a reply to message #47047] Tue, 07 June 2005 11:32 Go to previous message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
This may help!

Previous Topic: pi stagea 4 construction
Next Topic: Tweeter horn question again...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:14:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio