Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 7's , will they work for me?
Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47015] Thu, 02 June 2005 14:50 Go to next message
Dave is currently offline  Dave
Chancellor
hello all,

I've been pouring over the threads on the Pi forum for the last several days and have finally decided to post here with the hopes of getting a better idea of which version of Pi speakers might be best sutited for my situation.

I do have raised wood floors, which is a bummer I know, but not much that I can do about that. My room is basically 15 x 15 x 8, but this room adjoins the dining/kitchen area so it is really more like 15 x 23 x 8 with a half wall partially seperating the two rooms. All walls are wood framed with 1/2 sheetrock.

My gear is all 47 Labs - a 25 watt Gaincard (chip amp), a Flatfish transport with the Progression DAC and all 47 Labs wiring. I think this gear sounds really nice,.....If I ever did decide to try other gear it would probably be a tube amp. I've got this loudspeaker dilemma though....and that's where I hope someone can help me sort things out.

.....of course I'm thinking I want the Audiophile or Proffessional 7's, maybe even the ones with the 18" drivers, (something about these big high efficiency drivers really gets me!) but I'm a bit confused when it comes to sorting out the criteria involved in choosing the set that are right for my room. I have the corners for cornerhorns and I can probably persuade me wife to arrange the furniture so things will work out How do I proceed from here so that I can point myself in the right direction and not spend too much time drooling over a kit I might not be the best for me?
Can you point me in the right direction?

ps- Wayne, I also sent this info in an email to you with an attachment showing my room configuration in PDF format.

Re: Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47018 is a reply to message #47015] Thu, 02 June 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

What ever speakers you use with the raised floors will have the same affect, unless you can't really hear them ;-).

I expect you'll be happy with any of the choices you mention above. Personally I'd try the JBL offerings with the professional series based on comments read after lurking for a long time. I haven't heard complaints about the JBL's and I expect the sound quality is a bit better, especially in the top octaves.

Your next step would be to ask Wayne for the plans. When you get them you'll notice they aren't that difficult compared to other designs you could build. Check out the kit prices. They are good.

Grant.

Re: Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47021 is a reply to message #47015] Thu, 02 June 2005 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When you walk along the hardwood floor, how does it sound? If you stomp on the floor, does it sound hollow?

Re: Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47022 is a reply to message #47021] Thu, 02 June 2005 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
hi Wayne,

just did the stomp test on the wood floor - they're covered with a thick pad and wall to wall carpet so the hollow sound is not so bad, especially compared to stomping on the kitchen floor w/ no carpet. What I noticed more in the carpeted room were little shakes from items on the end tables. The floors have 18" of crawlspace underneath and are supported by 4'on center 4x6 joists covered with 2x6 fir and then with 1/4" oak hardwood. I am doomed?

Re: Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47023 is a reply to message #47018] Thu, 02 June 2005 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
hi Grant,
You're right, those wood floors sure aren't going away anytime soon. I'm liking the JBL stuff too, why not go for it eh? Do you think room size is an issue?

Dave

Re: Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47025 is a reply to message #47023] Thu, 02 June 2005 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Hi Dave.

I have mine in a 13' 4" by 23 room and they work great. The way you describe your room you have similar space to fill.

People with 12 by 14 rooms are deciding to try these. They are too loud for my taste with the smaller room. I know, just turn it down. The thing is they don't sound "right" until they use a little bit of juice. To give you some idea of how little they take I bought an old Luxman amp with l.e.d. power meters starting at .8 watts. I have to "turn it up" to find out the meters work.

I went to Lima Ohio and saw some Edgar horns and many other high efficiency offerings. The high efficiency all have that great knock you over with a bass wave, fill your house sound.

No regrets with the Pi's though. You're looking at some nice speakers here.

Grant.

Re: Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47027 is a reply to message #47025] Thu, 02 June 2005 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Grant,
Thanks for the encouragement - I'm selling a pair of rather popular Jordan JX92's (in a in 1/4 wave length transmission line cab. tapered and folded 3 times)in part because of the low listening levels not providing satisfaction AND the not so high levels not being pulled off too well either (my opinion only). That being said they've got a magical midrange at certain volume levels and I can see why some people love them, just not my cup of tea I guess.
My how the pendulum does swing - going from a 4" driver to a speaker with 15" to 18" drivers, whew! I need dynamics man! I definitely am after great sound of course, but I've been living too long without..Punch..!
I'll be needing to make some cardboard mock-ups soon, waiting to hear what Wayne might have to say about the wood floors and all...

-Dave

Re: Pi 7's , will they work for me? [message #47029 is a reply to message #47022] Thu, 02 June 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That hollow sound is what you're fighting here. No matter what speakers you use, they will excite the resonance and that hollow sound will make the room boomy.

You can get underneath in the crawlspace to install additional support and damping material. You can make the floor more rigid by adding support beams and you can line the surface underneath with a layer of expansion foam. The best thing is to use horizontal beams buttressed with vertical supports extending to the ground. Between the support beams and the insulating foam, you can do a lot to tame the resonance.

The cost of taking these steps isn't too bad if you do it yourself. If the crawlspace is dry and reasonably clean, it isn't too bad either. If you decide to take these steps, please keep us posted on your progress.

You've got mail! [message #47030 is a reply to message #47027] Thu, 02 June 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've sent plans for the Pro seven π and seven π-18 speakers. I'm very proud of these, and I think you'll like them too.

Re: You've got mail! [message #47031 is a reply to message #47030] Thu, 02 June 2005 22:11 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

I like your ideas on making the floor more rigid, I've worked under there plenty - it's totally do-able and I'm just crazy enough to do it! I'll keep you posted if I decide to beef things up underneath.

Thanks much for the plans and ideas - can't wait to take a look!

best, Dave

Previous Topic: Should I build Pi's?
Next Topic: DI matched two-way
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 22:44:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers