Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » OK Till E
Re: As one who shleps a lot of drywall............ [message #46942 is a reply to message #46940] Sun, 22 May 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Contractors come in and want us to get a forklift to load maybe 30 sheets of 4x8x1/2" drywall. But it has to be hand-loaded into their pick-up truck anyway so we just throw 15 "lifts" on a cart in about 60 seconds as they stand by amazed and then wheel it out.
Now 5/8" is a different story. That stupid 1/8" makes it 'twice' as heavy.Glue it to the studs and you really have a strong structure. Yup, drywall should be glued to the studs which eliminates a lot of fasteners so taping is quicker but also the glue keeps the board from getting concave where the framing isn't quite perfect.
If you wanted to make a really non-resonant 'wing' to substitute for a corner I would suggest 5/8" board glued to a 2x4 frame with 30# roofing felt glued to the back of the board between the studs.

Re: As one who shleps a lot of drywall............ [message #46943 is a reply to message #46942] Sun, 22 May 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Neat idea, thanks for the suggestion!

Thinking through your idea, it's really sort of an artificial wall made the same as permanent walls. Frame the sheet with 2x4's, and run a few in between for support. You could even line the back with R13 and perhaps surround it on both sides with drywall. Make a base that supports the panel and perhaps tie the top of the panel to the ceiling with an adjustable compression rod.

You guys are too kind! [message #46944 is a reply to message #46941] Sun, 22 May 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
...but really, I'd have been more than happy with raw unfinished birch with all the screws exposed. But the wife rules the roost and I was afraid that if I didn't go all out on the finishing, the 9 cu ft boxes would last all of about 3 hours in the family/ listening room. As they are, she actually love's them, looks and sound!

G.

Re: As one who shleps a lot of drywall............ [message #46949 is a reply to message #46942] Mon, 23 May 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I wonder if anyone has ever tried that stuff that they use in showers. Blueboard or something (?). Seems like it might be heavier.

Just a thought.

Re: Hardy board would be great [message #46950 is a reply to message #46940] Mon, 23 May 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
not sure of spelling, but there's a siding product made with concrete somehow. thin sheets are very heavy and it seems totally inert to vibrations. There's a primer that's supposed to seal it very well. I've wondered if it would make a good speaker enclosure for awhile, but I'm sure it would make a good little wall. Only downside is it eats up saw blades and makes a lot of dust when cutting.

Re: Hardi-Backer and Durock [message #46951 is a reply to message #46949] Mon, 23 May 2005 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bob Brines loves Hardi-backer as a stiffener/deadener for MDF. Durock is concrete board much as drywall is Gypsum board. Remember the Rauna speakers from the 80"s?
Make a sandwich with 30# roofing felt for mayo.

Concrete backerboard [message #46952 is a reply to message #46950] Mon, 23 May 2005 17:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You aren't kidding about tearing up blades. But I found the trick with that stuff - Score it with a grinder and then break it.

I had a momentary lapse of reason one time and did a DIY shower pan. (Of all the things to DIY, right?) I used that stuff behind the tile. Tough as nails, even chewed up concrete cutting wheels. But then I realized that if I scored the surface even just a tiny bit, I could lay it over a 2x4 and snap it like a gingerbread cookie. Nothin' to it.

Previous Topic: Eminence ASD 1001
Next Topic: pi 2 new tweeter upgrade help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:56:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout